BC Boards

Rural Hill

jrid

I am going to try to make it there to watch. Hopefully all the stars will align perfectly and I will actually get there. If rains I won't go because I don't won't to get stuck in the field where you park. If I do manage to show up, I will have a rough Border Collie with most of the hair cut off his butt.

Julie,

Had a preview of the possibilities Saturday, rained all morning, but reasonable temps. No wind (the important part). Pam and Sherry did your job in Open, got soaked. I, on the other hand, had my little Pen Princess Fort and didn't get too wet. haha

Sunday was perfect, so bring rain gear and sunblock. Wonder what it did down south.

We shall have a wonderful time in April. Count on it.

Hmmm...I think it might be wise to invest in some rain pants before then. Mine have lost their water shedding capabilities. If I have to stand out in the rain setting sheep for three days, I think I'd like to stay as dry as possible. But I'm going to also think positively that we will have nothing but sunshine and beautiful weather!

J.

Someone came up to me at Rural Hill on Sunday afternoon, right after my run with Rook, and asked me "Is that Rook?" I answered yes and then we started to talk. A minute later a friend came up to me and asked me to do something, so I had to leave. If the person who asked "Is that Rook?" was someone on these boards, I hope I didn't seem rude by walking off. It was not my intention!

When I come off the field at a dog trial, I am in a "zone"... thinking over my run, what I did right/wrong, what my dog did right/wrong, what I could have done differently, did I handle a certain situation correctly, etc. That 15 - 20 minutes after a person's run is a crucial time for focus and there is even a sort of an un-written "15 Minute Rule" when handlers like to be alone, especially after they've had a bad run. Sometimes those "zone out times" can come across as the handler being rude, but it is not that at all.... it is just a time of reflection for us. Does that make sense?

I wasn't the one who spoke to you, Christine, but I can certainly understand a handler's need for some time to "process" the run. It was so windy Saturday and I saw lots of handlers who were very disappointed with how their runs turned out.

I think some of the crowd could have used a reminder about trial etiquette.

Many times I come off the field still loaded with adrenaline, mind spinning about my run and concerned about cooling down my dog...he doesn't run hot but I still want to attend to him and am focused on his needs.

It's truly a bad time to have a conversation with me....I'm distracted, scattered and usually walking my dog and making sure he is cooling down. The only worse time to strike up a conversation with me is immediately before my run....like when I'm on deck.

Otherwise I like to think I'm a nice person and do try to talk to people and answer questions.

The only worse time to strike up a conversation with me is immediately before my run....like when I'm on deck.

Me. too! I like to have that time by myself with my dog, visualizing my run and trying to think of things that might happen and how to prepare for them.

I had a very bad experience at the 2006 Finals in Klamath Falls....in the Semi Finals, no less!!! I knew my run was coming up but I decided to do one last chore (as a volunteer for the hosts)...unfortunately there was a glitch in my errand that held me up a bit. So, I'm rushing back to go get my dog and start my pre-run routine, walk and mental warmup and my family arrives....sister, brother in law, niece, nephew and my aunt from England who I haven't seen in over a year......lots of hellos, questions, "what's this trialing all about?", yadda yadda. Next thing I know I look up and the run before is on the drive......and Rye is still in my truck! I took off running with my aunt in mid-sentence....I was in an absolute panic. I grabbed Rye out of his crate and he followed me running back to the field. I found a quiet spot "on deck" and tried to catch my breath. Next thing my poor (unknowing) aunt approaches and asks "Could you tell me about the course?". My aunt is the sweetest person in the world and I love her dearly....I remember hesitating (trying to figure out how to tell her politely that I needed privacy) and stuttered quickly trying to explain, while darting my eyes toward the field and trying to keep Rye walking quietly.

I was a basket case at the post. I was still shaking, a little out of breath, and just couldn't seem to get into the grove....giving late commands, double whistles, hurried pannicked commands. Needless to say, the run wasn't the quality needed to make the Final day. A few friends approached me afterward and asked what happened and why we ran so rough...all I could say was that I let my dog down. In addition to my issues, I'm sure I transferred my loss of center and panic to Rye.

I told my sister about how the distractions affected me but I'd never tell my aunt...she'd feel terrible and really had no idea. My sister had hustled the rest of the family away and she said she wondered about pulling our aunt away as I was getting ready....but saw me speaking to her and decided against it.

It was a costly lesson about the importance of my pre-run routine...to wind down, find my center, warm my dog up and visualize our run.

My pre-run routine consists of several trips to the porta-potty.

Wendy - I think you hit on the head!

Sue! Was that pun intentional?

I discovered that I do much better if I'm distracted fore and aft (if I've got a run later). I process much better apart from the hurly burly - my only chore is ratcheting down the adrenaline that distracts me. My best run, ever, ever, ever, was when I was helping put on a trial and had a really consuming job and lost track of the time. Very much like what happened with you, Elizabeth - someone ran up to me and yelled for me to get my dog - I was next! I had exactly enough time to get him out, run to the on deck area, take about two breaths, and then they were exhausting sheep.

My head was never clearer than on that day. My nerves are clearly something that get in the way. Oddly, I also do better if we get, conversely, "put on ice" by fooleries up field. Again, I think it distracts me and focuses me on the sheep part of the job. Anything that makes it seem less like a performance and more casual helps. I'm sure I'll never do well at big trials but then I'm sure there's not huge expectations to live up to there. lol

I, too, find that I have had some really good runs when I've been caught unawares and didn't have time to let the stress build before my run. For example, at the Bluegrass when I was talking with someone, looked up and saw Melinda Hanley at the post, and realized I was next. I had time to get my dog and get to the "on deck" area, but that's about it. We laid down one of our best runs ever. I do also try to use visualization and the like, but I think the less time I have to get nervous before going to the post, the better, and I'm usually not the nervous sort.

J.

My pre-run routine involves a weird sort of porta-john thing and a trying-not-to-throw-up (or hyperventilate) sort of ritual. After a run I have to decompress and let all of that adrenaline finish making my nerves jump. I used to get all of that just taking a lesson or working my dogs in front of other people and it has eased, so I keep thinking that maybe by the time I'm old and stooped over enough to floss my teeth with my shoelaces I'll be over it. Or not. :rolleyes:

My pre-run routine involves a weird sort of porta-john thing and a trying-not-to-throw-up (or hyperventilate) sort of ritual. After a run I have to decompress and let all of that adrenaline finish making my nerves jump. I used to get all of that just taking a lesson or working my dogs in front of other people and it has eased, so I keep thinking that maybe by the time I'm old and stooped over enough to floss my teeth with my shoelaces I'll be over it. Or not. :D

:D

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who got that way before a *lesson*! I thought I was just crazy. I'm over it now. Next I'll tackle working my dog in front of anyone but the trainer and my DH. :rolleyes: I won't even talk about trialing.