BC Boards

do you think this is anything to worry about

redterra

Hi my border collie benji seems to be shedding a lot of hair over the last few weeks, i had a word with the vet on the phone a couple of weeks ago and she said he might just be getting ready for his winter coat, but in the last few days i have noticed this on his leg, it seems to look quite dry close up and it has gone bald there, wondering if someone can help sorry about the picture is not the best. thanks

a picture of his leg and one of him normally, hes 12 months old by the way.

post-8729-1225775090_thumb.jpg

post-8729-1225775726_thumb.jpg

Hi, I'm new to the BC world, but my golden retriever used to lose her hair along her back every spring. It would come out in big clumps. We put it down to a grass or pollen that she would roll in. The answer was a wash called Mallowwash which came from out vet. A real pain for her and us, but it worked every year. Not sure if this would be the same with Benji. Try the vet.

Good luck. Lisa

Hi my border collie benji seems to be shedding a lot of hair over the last few weeks, i had a word with the vet on the phone a couple of weeks ago and she said he might just be getting ready for his winter coat, but in the last few days i have noticed this on his leg, it seems to look quite dry close up and it has gone bald there, wondering if someone can help sorry about the picture is not the best. thanks

a picture of his leg and one of him normally, hes 12 months old by the way.

That looks like its at his elbow? If it is, it might be the normal wear and tear that dogs develop if they do a lot of lying down on hard floors, sort of like building up callouses. My first dog Riley had these. You see the same kind of thing as dogs get older on their pads -- no longer pink but turn darker and more hardened with wear. If this is what it is, you can do a few things: make sure they have a bed or rug to lie on, apply some Bag Balm (or something similar) to the spot to keep it supple. I think dogs that are heavier might be more inclined to get these, but I may be mistaken about this.

If its not on the joint, or if you notice it elsewhere, I'd go see the vet again (or one that specializes in skin conditions) and see if they can diagnose it. It may be as simple as changing food.

But, if its localized at the joint, my money would go with callouses.

Ailsa

Thank you both for the reply, he does do a lot of laying on hard floors even though he has a lovely bed, and it is at his elbow, so think you are right about the normal wear and tear, i think the thing with him is he likes the coolness of the wood floor, and he is quite a big boy for a collie when i have seen him against other collies, tall and stocky .

so thanks again both you have put my mind at rest.

Last year I had an older retired male get both of his elbows raw, and even opened the skin to the bone. I wrapped the areas and gave him antibiotics. The elbows healed and I did not let him lay down on cement or wood even though it was so hot. His lay down method was to sit and scrape him elbows forward. He was 13 years, and this summer the old boy had to be put down - with those nicely healed elbows. His daughter still is the best with the sheep. There is a great cream for such problems - really helps with everything. Chap Guard Plus by Agrilabs. We use it for people and animals.

My Jedi has the exact same thing on his leg. I showed it to our vet and she said it's normal. It's like a callous which is what Afrancis said.

We have wood and tile floors also. She didn't mention putting anything on it. I'll have to look into those creams. Thanks.