BC Boards

ACC Strikes Again

http://www.news4jax.com/news/17742787/detail.html

As usual they're saying they weren't going to be able to help them because they were "fighting dogs"....they didn't even call rescues or tell any of us. I simply don't believe over 90 were "bad" out of 100 plus, much less some of the puppies. So much for progress......

Karen

Journey, it said the 15 puppies would most likely be rehabbed though. I personally would never take on a pit that was trained to fight. A few years ago when my son was 2, we were at the playground and a pitbull puppy ran across the field and rammed my son to the ground, and proceeded to maul his head(my sons head was in this puppys mouth) puppy was 3 months old(so the owner said, but it seemed older as it wasnt small) I tore the pit puppy away and he still kept coming he had no leash to restrain him, and instead of getting my son I fought this little pit to keep away from my son, I blocked the way. he was a strong strong strong puppy. I had to rush my son to the er as the darn thing had torn my sons ear. The puppy was not euthanized rather rehabbed, which i disagreed with, and the owners got fined for having it off a leash and court costs and the confinement to check for rabies. I didnt press charges, but said as long as it really is rehabbed then I wont. Never saw that dog again, and hopefully never will. I thought that once pits got the taste for blood it never goes away--thats what the Dr. told us when we went in.

I thought that once pits got the taste for blood it never goes away

I've heard Doctor's say worse. The degree doesn't make them smart, just doctors. That comment is right up there with 3 hairs under the chin is a good dog, black roof mouth good, spotted mouth shoot it, mastiff crosses lack the "loyal" gene and will turn on you, that any female dog bred by a mutt once is "ruined" and should be shot because she can never produce a purebred again. Old wives tales...some funny but sad, some downright awful.

But then again, you better watch my Border Collies 'cause they eat raw meat all the time :rolleyes:

I'm truly sorry your son was hurt and you were both so traumatized. I wonder however, if the whole thing would have had such a lasting impression in a Lab did it? I don't think it would. Yet I've seen lab puppies at the shelter (and mixed breeds, and many other breeds) that were *truly* dangerous yet were held back for longer, costing more resources and holding up space, plus given more training and time, because they weren't "dangerous" like that tail wagging happy go lucky pitbull down the aisle.

Wanton destruction of any life, of any species, because of stereotypes just keeps us all in the dark ages.

Read the Bad Rap page www.badrap.org about the "fighting" dogs taken from the Micheal Vick case. They offer an honest look at the situation and judged each dog as an indivdual. Some of those fighting dogs were not recoverable. Others were, and would have a been a true loss to society. They are stable, wonderful, safe family pets.

Again, I've very sorry about what happened to your son. It must have been awful, and nobody deserves that. I hope all is well with him now.

kibbles; Just by point of reference - The vast majority of Vick's fighting dogs were successfully and happily rehabilitated. I didn't expect it; I was very pleased to be wrong.

I thought that once pits got the taste for blood it never goes away--thats what the Dr. told us when we went in.

Not true (was this Dr. bitten too maybe?) - have you read this site - www.badrap.org

Also, http://lassiegethelp.blogspot.com

Furthermore, this is not the first time this ACC has done this. However, under the radar this time because it went down on a Friday and none of us could do anything about it. Last time it was a gentleman with Florida Cur dogs, they didn't like the way he kept them - they took all that they could, pts many and then lost in court. They didn't loose though, the owner did and the dogs they killed did.

Michael Vicks dogs we rehabbed; is that because he was famous? No, just had way more press about it whereas these morons here in town try to avoid us and the press. We've fought this ACC forever and ya know we have gotten no where with them.

I'm sorry about your son. We have to get out of blaming the breeds though and blame the dog for the deed.

Tranquilis, I too am quite surprised by this and the other posts. After the incident with my son I wont go near pitbulls, or what I think is a pitbull. It had left a fear in me which I am sure isnt good.

After knowing that they can be rehabbed, I am actually angered that they didnt even try to rehab. And why in the heck would they kill dogs before they even had the evidence?? its flustering!!!

thanks for posting this up as I am sure alot of people including me, can be educated more about pits now with facts.

Such a shame. Those poor dogs. :rolleyes:

Thanks for you posts, Lenajo and Journey. I agree whole heartedly.

I have hopes that the outcome of Vick's dogs will help others see that they don't have to automatically put down all dogs confiscated from situations like this, that each dog should be judged individually. Change comes slowly, though, if at all. :D

There were actually a flurry of posts on several Yahoo Groups right after the story aired, but I guess it was already too late to stop the mass killing.

It is just mind-boggling to me how ingrained it is in people's minds that pit bull = lethal weapon. Just last week, I had a conversation with a lawyer who specializes in dog bite cases. You'd think at least he would be educated about the fallacy of the pit bull myth. But, he wasn't. He told me a story about his neighbor's Dachshund that bite him on the ankle when he was mowing the lawn. He thought nothing about it, since it was a fairly minor bite. But, later, he said his wife was looking at the dog and could see that it actually had some pit it in (wow, to have such powers!). Pit - Dachshund cross. Hmm? Well, I guess where there's a will there's a way. Anywho, he went on to tell me how this now changed everything because pit bulls were a dangerous breed and this lady was putting herself at risk of a lawsuit because she had a dangerous breed, blah, blah, blah. :rolleyes:

After knowing that they can be rehabbed, I am actually angered that they didnt even try to rehab. And why in the heck would they kill dogs before they even had the evidence??

Well, to be perfectly blunt, many people simply don't know better. I'd become so inured to the risk-adverse nature of so many agencies that I was quite convinced, sight unseen, that the Vick dogs didn't have a chance. In other words, *I* didn't know better, myself. That said, rehab work takes time, energy, skill, and other resources that are in short supply, and that will always be a limiting factor - We can't save 'em all, sad though that be.

Education is another resource that's limited, but that doesn't have to be a limiting factor - Not if each of us spreads the word wherever we can.

We can't save 'em all, sad though that be.

But in this case we didn't have a chance at all - they were pts as they came in more or less. Strangely too is the fact "no" fighting equipment or paraphernalia was found on the premises either.

Education is another resource that's limited, but that doesn't have to be a limiting factor - Not if each of us spreads the word wherever we can.

Around here we're tired of banging our heads, education is NOT working, not at all - we're in the "deep south" mentality still and the good ole boys network/mindset is still healthy. It's not the first time this ACC has done this, this is what makes it so much more infuriating.....

K

Guilty until proven innocent.

I just had the chance to help evaluate a few pitties from a "fighting kennel" that was busted for "drugs". I did some checking and there was no fighting paraphanelia on the property, the dogs are in great shape with no scars or temperamental issues. These are family pets frankly, and yes...they did raise some pups but it appears they had some really nice dogs to do it with. If anything they were backyard breeders guilty of raising nice natured healthy bullies. Wow, that's just awful :rolleyes: The drug charges....well lets just say their are teenagers guilty of more every day. Were they wrong? Yes. Do they deserve to have their dogs taken away permanently on trumped up charges that have nothing to do with the crimes they were convicted of? NO!

Yet they have no chance of getting their dogs back. It's horrifying. The best we can do is make sure the dogs get good homes that love them. I'll be lucky if I can resist Bogart. (or maybe not...) He's a big choc/white adult male with a temperament of pure gold. This guys middle name is Stable. Kid safe, dog safe, cat safe. He is, what most pits are, and then some. He certainly does not deserve to be killed because of his race.

But in this case we didn't have a chance at all - they were pts as they came in more or less. Strangely too is the fact "no" fighting equipment or paraphernalia was found on the premises either.
And that's why, painful as it is, education must be pushed - I know you're up against entrenched cultural attitudes (I was stationed in Jax as a recruiter - I know the surrounding community well), but the only other option is surrender.

• 2 months later...
http://www.news4jax.com/news/17742787/detail.html

As usual they're saying they weren't going to be able to help them because they were "fighting dogs"....they didn't even call rescues or tell any of us. I simply don't believe over 90 were "bad" out of 100 plus, much less some of the puppies. So much for progress......

Karen

What a shame. Each and every story that I read regarding this breaks my heart.

Sam T.

Atlantic City New Jersey