BC Boards

Hiccup

Boon

Hey all,

I have been away for awhile, the move was a bear!

Well I’m back now and have been working with Blue on disc distance/agility and he has been great. We were catching 40yds consistently and having much fun doing it but ran into a hiccup. I’ am not sure why but he has started taking a westward approach to the disc instead of a straight line? No matter the direction I throw the disc he takes a wide left approach to the disc, he still will catch it but so much more time and energy spent?

I am not sure how to correct this?

Any and all feedback welcome

Hey! You back now or there permanant? Im just going to be a wise ass and say sounds like a natural outrun to me, and why would you want to correct that!? Might want to work on that one siddedness though. Tee Hee.

Hey! You back now or there permanant? Im just going to be a wise ass and say sounds like a natural outrun to me, and why would you want to correct that!? Might want to work on that one siddedness though. Tee Hee.

Well Im back as far as getting the puter set back up, but Im here in GA permanant.

I had stopped by a few times but you where out. I was curious how Hank was doing and if Stella came around? I stopped in SC at a friends and he had a BC that looked just like Cris.

As much as I want him to take a direct route to the disc, i will let him run for it however he wants but it drives me nuts:)) I never get mad but Im just like Blue bud we have to figure this out:)

Oh and as far the one siddedness I got him to deliver the disc to my right hand which is his left, that was a task but he got it!

One thing you could try is to teach your dog a send to a target in a very straight area like a corridor or a long row of ring gates. You might be able to condition a straighter path that might transfer to the frisbee game eventually.

My disc dog is a VERY strong O-dog. He has always run in an arc to get to the frisbee. I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me, but when I was fostering a dog who was more inclined to be an X-dog, it did take some getting used to. If you want your dog to run out straight, try practicing against a wall or fence so when you send him around behind you he has nowhere to go but straight. I've had to do this a lot recently for shorter throws--I'm trying to place a disc about 5 feet in front of me, my dog is about 15 feet to my right, doing a gigantic circle! :rolleyes:

UPDATE!!! I guess sometimes the smallest change can make the biggest difference.

I always had Blue go around my right side (im righthanded) so I thought it was better for him to come around as I am throwing so he could see disc prior to release. Well I decided to change it up and have him go around my left side. Took about a half hour and he had it, was odd for me having him leaving off my right side but omg what a difference! Not only was he taking a more direct route, but was catching 60 yarders which atm is the farthest I can through a 100g disc.

Also:

I am not sure what it is about an open field and laying down orange cones, but it draws a crowd. So we had a small audience for the latter part of our exercise, was nice people were clapping and cheering him on :rolleyes: At one point this old Golden Retriever came to join in the fun, he would start to run when I threw the disc then lay down about 10 yards into it, and Blue on the way back from a 40+ yard dash would give the disc to him and he would return it to me. Was actually kind of touching, and I am not the sentimental type :D .

For the record I am a total newbie when it comes to training a disc dog, I took what I learned online and paired it with my BC (a good analogy would be the staples easy button :D ) so I take little credit for anything we accomplish.

Hey -

Not to burst your bubble, but your dog will probably start to arc going around from the left too, once he gets used to it. :rolleyes: The BCs tend to be very "circley." My dog always arced going around from the right and started off not arcing when going from the left, but soon learned to bend that way too.

As I mentioned before, if it comes up again, practicing against a wall is a good way to keep the dog closer.