BC Boards

4 week old ...need a little help

angela713

Hi everyone! I need a little help. I had to go pick up my new baby last night and it's my youngest ever pup to date. I need to know if I need to get the milk for pups in can.They were eatting puppy food with water mixed for almost a week and mom decided 3 days ago to not feed them anymore. We've fed her and she's eatting fine about 1 tablespoon everytime.Does she need to eat every 2-3 hours ( don't wanna over feed and cause any problems) any help would be greatly appreciated. Also any tips some of you guys would be great.Thanks in advance.

Angela713

post-9177-1221824907_thumb.jpg

At four weeks, my foster pups ate about 4 times/day; more prob would've been ideal, but I just wasn't able to do so for a variety of reasons. My pups got canned food mush until about 5 weeks and then I switched them to watered down dry until 6 weeks and then onto regular dry food at that point. I likely could've switched them to dry food mush earlier, but they weren't too happy about the switch when I tried a bit earlier.

Food will not be your biggest issue at this stage in the game - making up the socialization your puppy will be missing by being taken away from the litter so young will be much tougher. I don't suppose you can convince the people who bred the litter to keep them together longer? 7 to 8 weeks is the minimum puppies really should stay with their litter for socialization if at all possible, 6-8 weeks is usually the legal limit for placing puppies.

Why, oh why, did you take a 4 week old pup away from its momma? The pups may have been eating food; the mom may have decided not to nurse, but a pup that young should still be with its mother. There are other things a pup that age gets from being with its mother and littermates other than milk.

Having gotten my rant over with, I'd put food down multiple times a day and let the pup eat as mich as it will,

A

Even if the dam couldn't feed, the pups should remain with the litter at least - ideally with Mom there as well. The pups will eat better together, keep each other company, and teach the skills to avoid creating a canine sociopath who can't get alone with other dogs as adults.

A pup that age without a mother feeding needs a minimum of 4-5 meals a day - my preference is ground meat and milk (goat, raw, not pasturized, usually with B-Natural's probiotics). The pup should be allowed to eat it's fill each time.

Another consideration for this early seperation is that it exposes the puppy to outside germs and bacteria far earlier than it should be expected to deal with it.

Above all I can't say it strongly enough that the *breeder* should be responsible for this puppy and caring for it, not an inexperienced owner. The pup needs its littermates.

A pup that age without a mother feeding needs a minimum of 4-5 meals a day - my preference is ground meat and milk (goat, raw, not pasturized, usually with B-Natural's probiotics). The pup should be allowed to eat it's fill each time.

This is what I weaned Mona's puppies onto, and they did really well!

RDM

My pups are 5 weeks and mom will not set foot in their pen anymore they are terriers and are about 3lbs each. I feed them 4 times a day and will give them some extra milk(I use lactaid or pasturized goat as it's what I have) if needed as some took to water better than others.

For feeding I use baby food I'm giving them rice, orange veggies and usually lamb or chicken. I just started them yesterday on canned meats from neura at one feeding and they ate that well too.

they eat an amazing amount 4 pups eat 1/2 a can of dog food with a small container of sweet potatoes some brown rice and 4 oz of milk.

I also wanted to agree with everyone. I get pups into rescue at this age because they are sold or givne away and they are terribly mouthy even into adulthood due to a lack or being with their peers. they also dont seem to know how to interact with other dogs. Your going to have a bit of work on your hands.

Thank you everyone! I am home all day so being on top of her isn't a problem.Also she won't be in a kennel for an entire day,only when I need to get things done or her a nap. So far she is eating about 6 times a day and as much as she likes( she walks away when finished) I totally agree that she shoulda stayed with the rest till at least 6 weeks but I had no control over that( the parents owners aren't breeders) I also am very fortunate because 1 of her belly-sisters is close by and we had them together last night for about an hour(some time is better than no time) So far we are doing well,the normal every couple of hours out to potty. I also have her sleeping in our room in a small enclosure at the foot of our bed and she knows already to cry a little and she will go out to pee. I was amazed at that or is it just the attention she's looking for.She's vocal but not out of the ordinary,when she's playing or wants your attention(so far so good, I guess to early to tell how that will go but if need be will have some type of trainer advise us on stopping it) I am not a breeder and she will be fixed as soon as the vet says she's ready. Thank you again.

angela

Welcome!

Good for you to be trying to do your very best for this little pup. Also, good for you for coming here to ask for advice. There are very experienced, honest people here who will give you terrific advice, and also will tell you some of the things you may not want to hear, but that are just as valuable.

The pup's parents' owners are breeders if they have a female dog that got pregnant intentionally in any way. Since I don't know how or why, I will forego any real comment other than to hazard a guess that these folks are not what we would consider reponsible breeders - if the bitch got pregnant unintentionally or if the breeding was a haphazard affair (have a male dog, have a female dog, let's have pups), that's a red flag; if they are not willing to keep the pups together (bitch having weaned them or not) until about seven weeks of age for valuable growth experiences and safety (which could be an issue if they were kept, if the conditions are not good), that's another red flag; if they pass (or sell) the pups on to folks who are not experienced in handling such young babies, that's another red flag.

All that said, I wish you and this little pup the very best of luck at getting a good start to a long and happy life together. She is lucky to have you and I expect she will repay your kindness with a lifetime of devotion and companionship. Please keep us posted and post pictures also, as she (and you) grow together.

On the socialization front, please get this little girl into a puppy class ASAP.

The best ones provide playtime, socialization activities w/ people in costume, noisemakers, things with wheels, different surfaces, etc. in addition to basic manners training. The class I teach is open to pups 9 to 16 weeks after one round of puppy vaccines 2 weeks prior to coming to class. Puppies do *not* need to be completely done with a vaccine series to attend a well run class - the socialization window closes around 16 weeks of age so classes prior to this are imperative, especially for a puppy taken from the litter sooo young.

A good source of socialization info for first time owners is the Ultimate Puppy ToolKit - see if you can get a copy to get a jump start on training and socialization with your new addition.