BC Boards

How Are You Positioned?

Robin posted this on another thread and I thought it was really thought-provoking. It leads you through a survey which predicts your potential as a sheepdog handler - assuming you make no changes of course between "now" and "then."

From Teun's site.

http://www.bcdb.info/winners.htm

I don't think the message one should get from this is that if you are that way now, you'll never be an Open handler. Just a year and a half ago I'd have had to honestly admit that my dogs were obtained through less-than-stellar channels, that I rarely worked my sheep because I disliked "schooling" (I've always enjoyed chores though), and a couple other points I think have changed.

Just for fun I went back after I got my first "score" (rather surprising) and answered as I would have 18 mos ago, and I didn't make it out of Novice - though I was brushing Open. How about that - just exactly where I was when I stopped trialing. So I can say that personally I'd call it accurate.

I sort of hope so, let's just say. :rolleyes:

Ha! It was kinda fun, I did it earlier when Robin posted it. It told me after it was all said and done, that I was a lower level open handler, it kinda made my a little warm and fuzzy inside, .....until I saw the disclaimer below :rolleyes:

I compared my previous test-taking (very embarassing) from a couple of years ago, with my current test-taking (I did substitute "cattle" for "sheep" in the appropriate places). I have to say I'm gratified that the "what I do now" compared to the "what I did then" is an improvement. The "what I should do from here on out" should be a greater improvement.

For myself, I do think that the result I got this time was a bit optimistic, but I can live with that. Thanks for starting this fun, as well as instructive, topic!

LOL! It seems I need a bigger place, to spend more time daily training my dogs, and spend more years at it before I can ever hope to claw my way out of the ranks of open handlers and into something bigger and better! :rolleyes: It's a fun little test, but I think it's purpose is best for comparing then and now.

J.

I had fun with this test.

but I am so weird about competing. Everyone around me when I went to watch has been very kind. I have no reason to be freaked by competing, but there you are!

And I work sheep with dogs for my job every day?

Any advice on THAT? Isn't that odd? It kind of surprises me?

Tea, isn't it funny? I'm the same way. I can't psych myself into thinking "this is just a job." It's too artificial right up to where the sheep are right with me. Then I'm comfy and forget everyone. The sheep stop being things and get personalities. hsnrs, I think what it is for me, is I need enough practice working the big courses to where I can start seeing the wee white spots behaving like sheep, again.

But first I have to get my baby dog around a little course again. :rolleyes:

I am not nervous when I go to the post. I mean, if the worst happens (and it has, short of Fly taking a sheep down and eating it on the field, which she would never do in a million years) it's not like everyone there hasn't seen something that looked just like it at some other trial.

... it's not like everyone there hasn't seen something that looked just like it at some other trial.

And enjoyed sharing stories later, I suspect, kind of like how we chemists always eventually come around to telling stories of the infinitely varied and interesting explosions and fires we have witnessed or heard of.

Thanks folks, that helped me a bit! Hopefully someday I will just go do it and then laugh and then it'll be ok.....MAN! Sometimes I'm just kinda funny about stuff! Thanks! Though for your words!