BC Boards

The inbreeding scandal,BBC/Crufts debate, and the Border Collie

Lenajo

on The Daily Dose Blog that we've been referring to for the BBC links on the Kennel Club inbreeding scandal it gives a run down of the Border Collie (along with several other breeds) and says the following...

In fact, the breeds listed above, are so often fraught with problems that they would be subject to massive class action litigation and product recalls if they were a manufactured commodity.

It doesn't sound our breed is being considering anymore healthy than any other "inbred show breed". I was under the impression that the BC wasn't an issue here, that the geneticists on the lists said we were "ok".....anybody got comments?

(I assume it is ok to post a link to this blog, since repeated links to it and the BBC youtube copies of the program that started this were already given)

eta: When going to the Daily Dose page, if you scroll down to "Making and Breaking Dogs In the Show Ring" the information and quotes I am talking about is there.

on The Daily Dose Blog that we've been referring to for the BBC links on the Kennel Club inbreeding scandal it gives a run down of the Border Collie (along with several other breeds) and says the following...

It doesn't sound our breed is being considering anymore healthy than any other "inbred show breed". I was under the impression that the BC wasn't an issue here, that the geneticists on the lists said we were "ok".....anybody got comments?

(I assume it is ok to post a link to this blog, since repeated links to it and the BBC youtube copies of the program that started this were already given)

eta: When going to the Daily Dose page, if you scroll down to "Making and Breaking Dogs In the Show Ring" the information and quotes I am talking about is there.

I may have missed what you are talking about, but I hit the kennel club health survey link for border collies, which listed "old age" as the second cause of death (under cancer) and said border collies had a higher median age than most breeds. However, considering that that only 100 dog deaths were considered (376 total live, also not a big number) as part of the survey, AND that likely only KC dogs were considered in the survey- is it really relevant to the larger portion of the border collie population?