BC Boards

Zoe's graduating!

I'm a thoroughly pleased with the way obedience class has been progressing with Zoe. The instructors have all been extremely good in knowing what to do for Zoe, and often have us doing a slightly different exercise than the other dogs due to her anxiety and fears, or at least a modified version. They're very careful not to press her past her limits, they don't want to make a negative association for her.

Today the dogs were practicing walking on lead using the other dog/owners as distractions. For all the other dogs the objective was to keep the dogs from rushing each other/jumping on the other person. In Zoe's case it was practicing not freaking out and trying to bolt. Zoe did REALLY well! I was able to walk right up to someone, stop and Zoe would sit, then continue on. Then one of the instructors worked seperately with us, she basically just crouched on the ground and had me walk by with Zoe, a little closer each time, and try to keep her from lagging way behind me or going to my other side to get away from the "scary" person.

She's taking treats out of peoples' hands now. After class today, as most of the others had already left, one of the other owners walked by and gave a treat to Zoe, who ate it. He then gently stroked her head. She didn't back up at all!! That's the first time she's let anyone touch her. :rolleyes:

So next week is graduation day, I've asked my hubby to come and watch (and bring the camera). We'll be practicing our stays this week. I don't know how well Zoe is going to do next week, though, because the instructor encouraged everyone to bring family, etc, to watch and participate (it's supposed to be a very fun day). I don't know how she's going to handle that, we'll see.

Unfortunately I'll be away in June for a few weeks (visiting my parents finally), so I won't be registering for the intermediate class immediately following this one, but we plan on starting that in July.

Good for you and Zoe. I know how hard obedience classes can be for an anxious dog. I'm going to be taking Cricket and Dusty to classes starting in a week. Cricket will be a challenge but I think now that she's healthy she won't be associating pain with doing the sitting exercise. I'm hoping she will do well!

I know how you feel, since Kessie finally decided the train is a nice place to be (instead of just barely acceptable for her crazy human's sake).

Today she slept, stretched out full length, and people had to sqeeze themselves past the new, disarmingly cute obstacle :rolleyes: . It's so good to see their fears go away!

Congrats, Zoe! Make Mommy get you a nice graduation present