BC Boards

Second Puppyhood?

Buster is almost 10 years old, and aside from a few normal puppy indescretions that occured under the age of 2, he has been almost the perfect dog. About 2 years ago, his lifelong doggy friend went on to doggy heaven, and my husband and I are left with a changeling. He has become hard of listening, and destructive. He is loose in the garage during the day, he spends most of the time in his crate with the door open, I think it is too small a space to close him in. When we are home, he is out in the yard. Well, lately we have been coming home to the doors and door jambs chewed and clawed. The wild card in all of this is that my In-Laws are visiting, they have a trailer parked next door, so they aren't always in the house. My father in law made mention of Buster raising a fuss, and he had to tell him to be quiet, so we are wondering what is going on. We have dropped multiple suggestions that Buster can be out in the yard during the day if someone is home, but the subject gets changed. I would hate to keep him crated if he is responding to something that is happening in the house. As it stands now, we will have to replace both doors and the trim, but I would prefer that he not claw his way into the house. He went through a phase of just trashing the garage, he tore the curtains into shreds and made a general mess, but I convinced my husband that it must have been a squirrel that was getting in, since it was a 4 day binge of destruction before the in-laws arrived. As for the hard of listening, when off leash, he used to come and sit when called, now it isn't a sure thing, so we are ultra careful. Any advice short of sending my in-laws back to Florida? Bye the way, Buster was husband's dog when I married him, so at least I don't hear "your dog....."

If this started after your other dog died, it sounds like Buster is lonely and/or bored. You say he is in the garage while you're gone and in the yard when you're home? Has this always been the arrangement? What sort of activities do you do with him? Is he ever in the house with you? What does he do for exercise and mental stimulation?

Crating him would take care of the destruction and I have no problem with a dog spending the day in a comfy crate with room for him to turn around, stand up and stretch out a bit if that is what it takes to keep him safe and out of trouble. But then the dog needs fun, exercise, stimulation and companionship when his owner comes home. Also, crating doesn't address what might be causing Buster to be so destructive.

I keep going back to the thought that he is bored and lonely without his pal. Is there any chance he was more bonded to the other dog than you? I'm not suggesting you get another dog -- an additional dog should always be for you, not your current dog. And getting a second dog is a bad idea when you're having trouble with the first. But is there something you or your husband can do to make Buster's days and evenings more enjoyable and less stressful? Exercise, training (sounds like he need a refresher on commands), walks, just hanging out together?

This is the same routine that he enjoyed with his buddy. Bubba was a 95lb Golden Retriever and he was extremely dominating, I really feel that Buster was totally dependant on the other dog for direction. Buster comes in the house occaisonally, we don't entirely trust him with the cats. We do take him on weekend trips with us where we have 14 acres for him to run and play, and wallow in the pond. I bought him his own "pond/wading pool" but he is afraid to get in, he stands and shakes. On the weekend trips he stays with us at night, and gets to spend more time with us. We go for walks in the evenings at home, but to tell you the truth, I get bored, if I change the walk routine, he has anxiety attacks and starts to cough and choke - the vet and I talked about this too. I take Buster to the barn sometimes when I go see my elderly horse, but there are sibling rivalry issues. This does give him a chance to play with the dogs at the farm, but he gets overwhelmed by the "ladies", 4 older labs. I had the opportunity to adopt one of the girls, her owner returned her to the breeder, but she is also 9, I get too attached to my pets, and she will have a home for life where she is.

We will definitely be pursuing some retraining activities, I hate to keep him on a leash, but I also don't want him to get hurt.

Dogs are very social animals. It really does sound like Buster is bored, lonely and under stimulated. It's great that he has lots of room to run and play, but most dogs and Border Collies especially, want someone -- usually their person or people -- to run and play with. And now that Buster is older, he probably doesn't want to run and play quite as much. That leaves him with not a whole lot to fill his time other than sleep and now engage in the bad habits he's developed.

Even though you are bored by the same old walk, it is probably the highlight of Buster's day. I remember reading years ago that walking together is a great way to promote bonding with dogs. Don't know if that's true, but I do know how much the average dog loves his walks. Brushing up on his commands will be a good way to spend time with him too. I don't spend tons of time doing things with my dogs, but if I'm home they're always by my side. They may be playing quietly, looking out a window or sleeping but they do like being part of the family/pack.

It really does sound like Buster's primary attachment was Bubba. My Sheltie was most strongly attached to my first Sheltie. She liked me fine but he was the sun in her universe. When he died, she went through a grieving period that was hard to watch. She came out of the depression and is a happy girl who keeps the boy dogs in line but my point is dogs can really become dependent on each other, especially when that is their main bond.

Thank you for the advice, I will make an extra effort to make sure Buster gets his walks. Sissy girl that I am, we live by a wetland, we walk down the road through the state gamelands and between the deer flies and the mosquitos, I can come up with a reason not to venture out in the evening. He really does still miss his buddy, when he sees another golden, he perks up. The worst mistake we made was not taking him along when we had Bubba put to sleep (he had cancer in his intestines and was blocked :rolleyes: ), Buster looked for him every time I drove the car into the driveway for over a year. Thanks again, hopefully he will settle down. We are going away this weekend, so he will have lots of quality time with Mom and Dad.

Buster looked for him every time I drove the car into the driveway for over a year.

:rolleyes: My Sheltie did that too though not for a year. It is so sad to see them grieve like that.

Thanks again, hopefully he will settle down. We are going away this weekend, so he will have lots of quality time with Mom and Dad.

I think with some extra TLC, he might feel a little less lost at sea. Good luck and have a fun weekend.

If you don't want another dog permamently, is there a neighbor or friend with a dog who might like their singleton dog to have company through the day?

Have you tried the simpler things - like turning on a radio, or giving him a well pack kong for the day?