BC Boards

Hip Dysplasia

JaderBug

I got Jade lined up to go to the vet tomorrow to get looked at- can't remember if they have x-ray or radiograph or both, it's an old clinic but has a new vet and all new equipment- also have the option of sending the results out to other places. I'll keep everyone posted! Thanks for all the support/advice/suggestions!!

X-ray is the common term for a radiograph. Radiograph is the "picture" you get when passing x-rays through a body and onto a film that is then developed.

Mark

oops... my bad :S

Jade and I went to another herding lesson this evening. She's 8 months old and she did very well... started working on 'lie down' with the sheep tonight and I was absolutely amazed at how FAST she layed down!!! She was doing wonderfully with getting out and around the sheep, and I think is starting to learn "away to me", mostly because I think that's the direction she prefers. She does great going in between the sheep and the fence, and doesn't have any problems standing up to a ewe.

I should be very excited about her progress she's making, but unfortunately I've left the lesson more devastated than anything. My herding trainer seems to think that Jade may have hip dysplasia. Jade has been taking lessons for a couple of months now, and James said tonight that he has noticed some tenderness or lameness in her left hip for a while now, he was hesitant to say anything because he thought perhaps she was just going through a growth spurt, but she's been favoring the same hip for a couple of months now. I've also noticed with obedience that she sits flopped over on one hip, which I acquainted to being a lazy, sloppy puppy sit, but her 'lie down' is also flopped over on one side. She doesn't show any favoring when she's in with the sheep, either.

I am absolutely crushed. I know there's other things it could be and I don't think (from what little research I've done so far, planning on doing a lot more tomorrow) we can know for sure if it's hip dysplasia until she's 18 or 24 months old. I never noticed it before, I couldn't ever tell that she was limping in any way outside of the weird sitting/laying down- I only noticed it once James pointed it out to me when she was playing with one of his dogs.

What do I do? do I get her to a vet? What are some resources I can look into? Needless to say I will be e-mailing the breeder tomorrow- we've gotten several dogs from this breeder and none have been dysplasic or arthritic so I didn't imagine there would ever be any problem with Jade. Is anyone else dealing with dysplasia? What else might it be? If it is dysplasia, can she continue herding? Can she do any activity? How long will it take for the real symptoms to set in?

I think I need some board mojo too, hope and pray that it isn't dysplasia...

Hi,

Definately talk to your vet! It will make you feel better and if there is a problem, the sooner you find out the better...I had one of my dogs x-rayed at about a year old because I was concerned about the way he moved. Fortunately he was ok and at 24 months he OFA'd good.

One of my other BC's is dysplastic. He's almost 9 yrs old and has, so far, never had any problems. I keep him fit and watch his weight. He does hobby herding, obedience, plays around in agility, loves tracking.....Some of them can still do anything they want to.

I'll be thinking positive thoughts for Jade~

Janet