BC Boards

Foxy's Fame

Well I decided to let my young Border Collie start getting into Dock Jumping when she turned 6 months old. It would be good exercise and get her used to working "with some pressure," so she is used to the competition like atmosphere. What I didnt know, is how much we would get into it.

At first my little girl didn't want anything to do with water. It took some time to get her to even swim in a pond. It was absolutely frustrating and discouraging when I saw other new dogs jump right in and get into dock jumping easily. However, we hung with it. In 4 months, we have gone from hating water, to liking it alright, to being scared of pool water, to finally getting in, to being totally freaked by the dock, to relunctantly jumping in, to "plopping in", and finally to running down with speed and drive and launching like she should!

Our first event two weeks ago, we got our Novice Jumper title (NJ) which is jumps under 10' and this weekend we took it up a step and got our Junior Jumper title (JJ) 10'-14'11" jumps. I was absolutely thrilled with her this weekend as she really jumped her little heart out. What's even better is she is only 9 months old, so we all cant wait to see what she can do in a year! She even was featured on two different news channels... one was regular and the other actually being live.

I have videos of her progress through the last 4 months and wanted to share them with ya'll. It goes to show, that not just the Labs can do DockDogs.

Getting used to the pond

Not jumping just yet, but finally going into a pool

"Falling With Style"

Somewhat of some jumps

To our second event with some lovely looking jumps!

Heres us on the news

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/channel?sectio...&id=5755224

Anyways thanks for reading/watching! I just am still excited from this weekend (even though I have a throat infection and a BAD fever)

Great vids, Foxy looks remarkable. Its funny I was going to ask on boards how to introduce my BC to water/swimming (he is 7months old aswell)! I dont have pool acess but we have plenty of lakes and pond in the area. Well hope you feel better and great vids once again!

Great vids, Foxy looks remarkable. Its funny I was going to ask on boards how to introduce my BC to water/swimming (he is 7months old aswell)! I dont have pool acess but we have plenty of lakes and pond in the area. Well hope you feel better and great vids once again!

The videos show kind of the process that I took to train her. Of course it doesnt show EVERYTHING, but it gives a good idea. I am very fortunate to be a part of a DockDogs club where we have monthly practices. However I have to drive 90 miles one way to get there (the money I spend on my dogs!) but it is worth every penny.

The most difficult thing really for most dogs, is the transition from lake or pond water into clear water. Clear water throws their depth perception off and they need to 100% trust you that you are not asking them to jump into a hole. If you get a chance to introduce to pool water, jump on it! Good luck, and if you get a chance to go to event, let me know how it goes. Sorry but it is addicting!

Good work, I have never seen a BC in dock jumping. This has got to be bad news for labs everywhere. If we keep it up BC's will rule the world if not already.

Well, I don't think the Labs' retrieving cred is in any danger, but that's remarkable progress, made more obvious by the progression in the videos. More importantly, it's clear that Foxy is having an absolute BLAST!

Great job on introducing her to the sport, and great job documenting her progress over time!