BC Boards

collie nose...

I have seen a case on a friend's dog years ago. Sorry, no pics, but as I remember it was a nasty crusty infection spreading over quite a bit of the top of the muzzle. They did get it cleared up in the end, but took a long time. It's because of seeing that dog, that I use zinc cream as a sunscreen on my Fergus, who has an unpigmented (pink) patch on his muzzle just above the nose leather.

Here are a couple of links collie nose 1

collie nose 2

I notice in these that it's important to get a veterinary opinion to rule out other disorders before deciding it's collie nose.

Years ago my family had a Kerry Blue Terrier that developed collie nose. Although her nose was dark to begin with, as it crusted and flaked (I think, or peeled - it was a long time ago when I was just a kid), it lost pigment. Back then the vet gave us some kind of dark green liquid medication to "paint" onto the nose. Sorry though, I couldn't tell you what it was called, it's been too long. My mom might remember, but it's doubtful. The nose did eventually heal up, but it took a while.

hmmmm perhaps not then.

this is a cyber friends collie, and is seeing the vet but as yet there is no comfirmed diagnosis. i am unsure of what treatment is being used but will find out. the following pics start on the 8th of this month and progress up to yesterday or the day before.

DONT LOOK IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH OR ARE EATING!!!!!

mollynose.jpg

mollynose2.jpg

mollynose3.jpg

mollynose4.jpg

mollynose6.jpg

can dogs catch orf? though having asked that i dont know if she has been anywhere near sheep...

Donna,

I had a sheltie that had collie nose when I was young one. We protected her kennel from the sun and used to put a some type of cream on it. It was no where near as bad as what is picutred above. And that's about all I remember. It never went completely away.

Toni

Ouch! That poor dog! Thankfully the more recent pictures look less painful. Our Kerry Blue never had anything like that, it was just the actual nost that was affected, not the bridge, and I don't remember it ever looking bloody like in the first picture.