BC Boards

Melatonin

Tracer

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using melatonin as an anti anxiety. I was recommended it by a friend who has an aussie with thunderstorm issues and it has worked wonders. My trainer said she has used it with no problems.

Just wondering if anyone here has heard anything about it or used it.

Thanks ~ Tracy & Scout

I know others have found success with melatonin, but I have tried it without much success for my thunderphobic girl. Once I saw it wasn't having much of an effect on her, I stopped giving it to her, as it is my understanding that if you supplement with melatonin often enough, the body begins to decrease its own natural production of it. I have no idea how much is too much, but perhaps someone here will have a less vague notion of this phenomenon...

I tried it with Dean. It helped take a bit of the edge off of his noise/thunder phobia, but it did not really help all that much.

Like Laurae, I did not want to give a whole lot, lest I mess up his natural melatonin production.

It was worth a try, and it did do him a little bit of good.

I have thought about trying it with Tempe and her being thunder phobic. With all the storms lately, I am thinking of gong straight to the vets though for some real drugs. Tempe needs relief and I don't want to waste timing trying something that may not work. Once the storms of slowed down, I may give it a try.

I know of folks that have used melatonin with great success for other anxieties besides noise issues. You can do a search and find some information.

People have also used the melatonin as a way to control certain of seizures.

I didn't realize that it would cut down their own production of it. He is going to the trainers for the weekend while we go camping so I think one tablet would be fine to take the edge off, but knowing what I know now I will definitely watch how often I give it to him. I haven't tried it on him yet so it should be interesting.

I was a disbeliever until I tried it myself for nighttime mind racing issues. I made the mistake of taking a whole dose and whammo! I slept for fifteen hours straight!

I didn't find it calming so much as, well, sleep-inducing. It works fast though!

It didn't do anything for Solo at all.

I've used it when I need to sleep and it works like a charm for that, but I find that whenever I use it I wake up in a foul mood. I guess it's one of those YMMV things.

If I remember correctly, melatonin has huge warnings about not to take it if you have depression or a bunch of other issues. This is for people. But doesn't that have an impact on dogs with mental issues? anxiety and depression are often related, from what I've understood.

Brain chemistry isn't something to take lightly. I seem to recall some pretty nasty impacts the time some idiot doctor told me to take it and told me not to worry about all those warnings. My own doctor was SOO mad when he found out. This was when I was in my late teens or early twenties, so years ago, but still.

Is it well-tested on dogs? They can't really tell us how they feel. Of course they are unlikely to go commit suicide, but still... I'd at least test it on my dog before I left her with someone who didn't know her so well with a dose of it in her.

• 5 months later...

Actually, my first concept that melatonin could be used for thunderstorm phobia came from reading about a study done at Tufts/Cummings. Even got dosage info from the article. (Border Collies would fall into the 3 mg range.) The only caution indicated was if your dog had kidney issues. So I talked to my vet. He said he really hadn't read up on it, but that it was a natural substance that I'd only be using on occassion and certainly worth a shot. So I tried it. Not the panacea I'd hoped for, although it did take the edge off the dog's fear. She was still scared, but not vibrating like a tuning fork for an hour straight. Side effects? Well, I'm not a dog but I've taken it every night for the past five years or so and am impressed by the effects on my sleeping patterns. I've had no side effects. With a dog and thunderstorms, well, it's not like it storms everyday (unless maybe you live in Florida) so other than that kidney problem caveat, I'd say, go for it!