BC Boards

gas $$, training time

kelpiegirl

Okay, so, it is no longer ignorable- getting out to sheep is getting expensive. I need to try and get the most out of our time, without over doing it. Any suggestions on getting decent amounts of work, without pushing it? Take several small breaks and spend longer hours? Is that a bad idea? I am not really worried about back sliding so much- I worry about too much drilling. We need different challenges, but we also need reminders of what is required...

I always think training sessions are best broken down into small segments with rest in between. Is it possible where you train to help with chores? Real work is always better than drilling. But there's nothing wrong with doing several training sessions while you're there. Maybe you can plan to work on different objectives in each session just to help avoid the drilling aspect.

J.

I like having a training partner- it makes it alot easier to break things up into smaller blocks of time plus the added advantage of watching another person/type of dog work. Also- taking the sheep somewhere to work is "real work" and you can polish some things without the dog feeling like it's being drilled to death.

I understand the gas thing- luckily my sheep landlady feeds for me, I live 26 miles away from my sheep which adds alot of miles per week just practicing 3-4 times a week. I have started going out to practice after work, while the heat will allow it- that saves me 13 miles one way.

Jaime