BC Boards

North Carolina Legislative Emergency

I just now learned that a bill -- An Act To Amend The Law Relating To The Protection Of Animals (HB 2098 and SB 1554) -- will possibly today have its third reading and be sent to Governor Easly for signing.

The main issue concern for us is the prohibition against any form of "baiting". There is concern that this prohibition could give HSUS the reach to outlaw the use of dogs in agricultural activity.

Here is a link to more information about this...

HB 2098

I don't have a lot of background on this, but it is not much of a reach to have HSUS go after dogs used in livestock yards, goose control or even sheepdog TRIALS.

I guess the best thing to do would be to contact your legislators and senators and the Governor's office --- 800-662-7952.

Colin

Thanks for posting Colin. I imagine VA will not be too far behind...

This is something we all need to be concerned about. Here is an excerpt from the link Colin provided above:

As written, the ambiguous wording of "animal" and "baiting" could be argued to stop coon hunts, earth dog trials, and legal hunting with dogs where contact between the dog and game/animal occurs. The language is so broad it could even include stock dog work. Vague and unclear language will allow those opposed to hunting and sports an opportunity to build on future laws that will negatively impact hunting, sport, and working dogs in our state.