BC Boards

Dog Toothpaste

I was all set to purchase a toothbrush and toothpaste for Scooter the other day, but when I read the ingredients, I decided against it. Sorbitol and saccharine are both listed. I thought artificial sweeteners were bad for dogs? The clerk at Pet Supplies Plus told me there probably wasn't enough in there to harm him, but "probably" wasn't good enough. Am I being paranoid again? :rolleyes::D

This post, of course, sent me running (well...) to check the ingredients on my dogs' toothpaste. Yep, sorbitol is one of the first ingredients listed. It surely isn't GOOD for them, but my understanding (and brief googling) is that xylitol is the reallhy bad sweetener. I'm guessing there isn't enough sorbitol in toothpaste to make a huge difference in any dog's health - though apparently large quantities can have a laxative effect.

Would that most of us (who me? not me...) brushed our dogs' teeth several times a day...perhaps it would be a worry.

But you're right - it does seem like a very UNnecessary ingredient (but I guess it has to taste at least a little good, for them to put up with it, right?).

diane

Xylitol can be really dangerous for dogs. Don't let them have any, not even a tiny bit.

On the other hand, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center says (here) that:

Sweeteners such as sucralose (Splenda), aspartame (NutraSweet) and saccharin (Sweet N' Low) are not known to cause problems in dogs or other pets, as the sweetener xylitol has been shown to do. However, they could potentially cause mild gastrointestinal upset if eaten in significant quantities, so it is still a good idea to refrain from offering pets such sweeteners.

No evidence that sorbitol is particurly dangerous for dogs, though I suppose there could be more to learn. The extent of the danger of xylitol ingestion was only recently realized.

This post, of course, sent me running (well...) to check the ingredients on my dogs' toothpaste. Yep, sorbitol is one of the first ingredients listed. It surely isn't GOOD for them, but my understanding (and brief googling) is that xylitol is the reallhy bad sweetener. I'm guessing there isn't enough sorbitol in toothpaste to make a huge difference in any dog's health - though apparently large quantities can have a laxative effect.

Would that most of us (who me? not me...) brushed our dogs' teeth several times a day...perhaps it would be a worry.

But you're right - it does seem like a very UNnecessary ingredient (but I guess it has to taste at least a little good, for them to put up with it, right?).

diane

LOL! I don't know--how discriminating are their tastes if they will eat their own poo? :rolleyes: