BC Boards

dog over run sheep

i have put this out to the expert...but maybe some of you good folk have experience this. would like to hear from you. bill

have two BC that work. one is seasoned but the other is a nebie.

the Nebie will circle the three sheep and then will walk through them and single out the lead sheep.

i have dropped him behind the sheep and all goes well for awhile. the sheep start to graze and pay little attention to dog and he then will walk pass them and single out the lead sheep. he will fetch this sheep and after a little while will realize he has to go back to get the others.

i had leghuggers and just got these three sheep about 2 months ago. the seasoned BC moves them well and if he get too close they will challenge him.

i have looked in your book but unable to come up with a solution. do you have any suggestions. thanks in advance.

i have put this out to the expert...but maybe some of you good folk have experience this. would like to hear from you. bill

have two BC that work. one is seasoned but the other is a nebie.

the Nebie will circle the three sheep and then will walk through them and single out the lead sheep.

i have dropped him behind the sheep and all goes well for awhile. the sheep start to graze and pay little attention to dog and he then will walk pass them and single out the lead sheep. he will fetch this sheep and after a little while will realize he has to go back to get the others.

i had leghuggers and just got these three sheep about 2 months ago. the seasoned BC moves them well and if he get too close they will challenge him.

i have looked in your book but unable to come up with a solution. do you have any suggestions. thanks in advance.

William, odd problem. You are on the way to a good shed and look-back but I think you need to take a step back with the dog and have him realize he is making an error from your point of view. From his point of view he is making a fetch for you. Stop his training at balance and fetching for the time being. Correct him each time he does not make a fetch of the full flock. Put lots of pressure on the dog, walk in on him, change his balance point, force him out etc. If you allow him to do this without a correction he may continue. I have a very well trained BC who will at times forget balance. He has been a working dog for years but when this comes up I go back to basic training with him. I often find that I am contributing to the problem. His problem helps keep me sharp.

Why are sheep stopped? Are you fetching, and then stopping the dog, so the sheep stop? Usually in novice dog sheep you see sheep that keep on moving until they are to you. It sounds as if they are not the most flocky/fetchy sheep. You say they will challenge a dog if he comes in to tight- that is also a concern for a young dog. He may not be going for the lead sheep, but rather, the less ornery. I had sheep that would stop every time my young dog got too close- stop and turn on the dog. It was just NOT useful for my dog to learn anything. The stoppers were in back- the front were the more novice dog minded sheep. Besides the sheep- I would be stopping him the MINUTE it looks like he is forgetting any of the sheep. When a dog comes up to these sheep, do they flock tighter?

• 2 weeks later...
William, odd problem. You are on the way to a good shed and look-back but I think you need to take a step back with the dog and have him realize he is making an error from your point of view. From his point of view he is making a fetch for you. Stop his training at balance and fetching for the time being. Correct him each time he does not make a fetch of the full flock. Put lots of pressure on the dog, walk in on him, change his balance point, force him out etc. If you allow him to do this without a correction he may continue. I have a very well trained BC who will at times forget balance. He has been a working dog for years but when this comes up I go back to basic training with him. I often find that I am contributing to the problem. His problem helps keep me sharp.

sorry for not answer sooner but we had a lot of things happening here and i just put it off. thanks for the help. Good ideas....have stopped in now before he moves in on the lead sheep. i also insisting on a wider outrun. this has helped... can not put pressure on him. he is a dog that is a rescue dog. he was one hour away from being put down. a service group got him and want to make him a service dog. no luck at all. i have had him for about three months and he is doing great. i took him to a clinic with David Henry and he did well. when originally found he had burn marks around his neck from shock collar and very thin.

he is a charm of a dog.

No matter what training issues you are experiencing, thank you very much for helping this dog and obviously caring well for him.

What some idiots do is beyond me - burn marks from a shock collar - some people need a good dose of their own behavior turned back on themselves...