BC Boards

just a quick question ...

are these anti-ticks collar (the brand is kiltix , pretty expensive, supposed to last six months) waterproof ? Tamyr was in the water today before I got to wondering about it , but tomorrow we're going to the ocean , should I take it off for the day ?

Thanks for your input .

Here's what I found when I googled "Kiltix"

Waterproof?

The collar resists the effects of water. Experiments with dogs wearing the Kiltix collar have shown that parasites placed on animals, which had been completely wet, were destroyed. However, it is recommended that the collar be removed during swimming and bathing as frequent wetting will remove insecticide from the coat and may shorten the life of the collar.

Hope that helps!

Thank you Maralynn , that helps , I'll just take it off for the day at the sea , I should have checked myself of course so thanks !

D'Elle it's from Mongolia , and I pronounce it a bit like "com'ere" ...

Mado, the advice here is to take collars off when the dog will be going swimming.

The other thing my vet says is that it doesn't matter what you use for tick repellent, you also need to do a thorough daily check of dogs (that's especially for the paralysis tick, but I guess it's true for other ticks as well.