BC Boards

Feeding a young foster dog

Hi all--

I have not had a young dog (under 2) for many years. I now have the most adorable little 7 month old foster pup (you can see him here: Rory )

He's the most fabulous little guy in every way. Question: is he old enough for adult kibble? That's what I started feeding him (have only had him a few days) because that's what I've got on hand. But I can get puppy chow if he should still have that. He has all his adult teeth. Also, how much should I feed him? Jester (39lbs) gets 2 cups a day. Rory (AKA Rhett on the website) is only a little smaller than Jes, and I don't think he'll get much bigger, but he is also a growing boy. Should I feed him more than 2 cups a day?

Thanks!

At 7 months, Rory should be able to hanlde adult kibble. At Rory's size (I would gues in the 35-pound range), two cups of kibble a day (one cup per meal, morning and evening) sounds about right, with perhaps 1/8 to 1/4 can of moist food and a little warm water or diluted low-sodium beef or chicken broth mixed in.