BC Boards

Stockwork

Jedismom

Yes--I've had lots of students over the years tell me that their dog's confidence in general increases. Some fearful dogs seem to become more relaxed, etc...

A

Not in temperament per se, but the better parts of these dogs' nature comes out if skillfully, or even not so skillfully, brought along on stock. They are so forgiving! :rolleyes:

Yes--I've had lots of students over the years tell me that their dog's confidence in general increases. Some fearful dogs seem to become more relaxed, etc...

A

I was hoping for that, as I saw a little bit of it in Jedi last week during his first time.

My concern was, that perhaps it would increase his desire to herd in general, and he would start to herd non stock things. He does not do much of that right now and I'd like to keep it that way if I can.

Usually that's not the case, and more likely, the opposite. Lots of times folks say that their dog is not so interested is stalking the kitty or whatever, once it has an outlet that allows them to work stock...

A

Usually that's not the case, and more likely, the opposite. Lots of times folks say that their dog is not so interested is stalking the kitty or whatever, once it has an outlet that allows them to work stock...

A

I think Chesney is the exception to this rule :rolleyes: In his mind there is ALWAYS time and energy to be expended watching our cat, but he was showing lots of interest in her when I first brought him home...

I don't think stockwork will have anything to do with your dog becoming more interested in the cat than he already is :D

I was hoping for that, as I saw a little bit of it in Jedi last week during his first time.

My concern was, that perhaps it would increase his desire to herd in general, and he would start to herd non stock things. He does not do much of that right now and I'd like to keep it that way if I can.

I wouldn't think his desire would increase once he starts working stock. Taz and Craig might both be up for herding a cat if I had one (they are both pretty interested in following the kitties around at my friends' places). However, they totally understand what "that'll do" means (whether on real or "inappropriate" stock) and they knock it off the second I say it. Training Jedi up should only help him listen to you.

We have Aussies and my Alfie's temperament changed dramatically. She gets along with other dogs much better now. She is also a team player with my trainer but not with me. She is very spoiled (my fault). Hopefully that will change once I take over the reins. N

We have Aussies and my Alfie's temperament changed dramatically. She gets along with other dogs much better now. She is also a team player with my trainer but not with me. She is very spoiled (my fault). Hopefully that will change once I take over the reins. N

Maybe your trainer has taken on more of the Alpha dog role, where you have given Alfie (in your home) that role where SHE is the Alpha over you. Your trainer might have a lot more experience- they usually do, that's why we call them "trainers" LOL. I have had this experience with my "now" dog Usher. Never had it before. Part of it is, I usually had females and males actually do take a lot longer to mature than females. Plus I am used to females. AND he IS stubborn. It sounds like you have a great trainer. I KNOW I do. So stick with him or her and you should progress greatly. Keep us informed.

Forgot to tell you Alfie is a girl; don't know why we named her that. We do love our trainer and you are right about the alpha thing. She is definitely the boss at home but at training Sue the trainer is the boss. We do plan to stick with Sue as she is wonderful. Next weekend I'm taking our male Sam to a different trainer's place to have Sue work on different stock with him (a newbie). We hope to be ready for the upcoming ASCA and maybe AHBA trials in June. Alfie has her Started Sheep title and one leg towards Open in ASCA. Sue got a High in Trial at a AKC event (sorry) so we are very pleased with her progress since August of last year. It is so much fun to see the great strides this team is making. Sue thinks Sam will make a good cattle dog; time will tell. N