BC Boards

Usher's lesson

Bo Peep

So what about actually getting a trained service dog? one that isn't bred to work for a living? from what you say about how usher is---hardheaded, a little out of control(maybe that was just when he was young) but doesn't sound like any service dog i know.

kelli

Usher was very difficult to train. A lot of people have noticed that. My obedience trainer, Don, plus a handful of people that saw him as a young pup. I chose a border collie because..........since 1987, that is the only breed I know. I love them. MOST of them are very biddable, easy to train in any area you choose. Usher has been a great service dog. His job is to be "invisible" to the public. Most of the time, people don't even know he is there. He sits under my chair and rests while I wait my Dr. appointments or while I eat. One or two quick pets calm my tremors, he also helps me with my balance. That's why he is also being trained in obedience and we are throwing in some rally to keep him from being bored. He is getting plenty of mental stimulation. After a day of shopping, he is more pooped than I am.

Around 9:30 or 10:00 PM, he puts himself to bed in his crate. A couple of nights he didn't. The first time I made him go in. I fell. The 2nd time, I actually listened to him and he was right- I fell. My mother got upset with him because she was starting to fall and he braced himself and she yelled at him to get out of the way. I had to tell her he was just doing his job. She gave him lots of lovings after that.

As far as Bailey goes, yes. I know she came with problems. The only home I would re-home her to is my boyfriend. He happens to be a GSD fan, but I think I have changed his mind :rolleyes:

I hope I answered your questions. If not, feel free to add more. My daughter-in-law was nice enough to share her bronchitis with me, so sorry if I am late in replying.

Dianne

Dianne, this makes no sense. Zip is not an open dog, I am not an open handler, and your dogs weren't anywhere near open either. So the claim that a Mick / China pup would have put me in open is a ridiculous notion. Hell, Kiva went back to Mick / China on both sides, and all she wanted to do was tear my sheep limb from limb. ... Also Zip is only 6 years old. Why would I need to replace him? He hasn't limped in over a year. All is well. Why you have my dogs in the grave already (see thread about Jag) is beyond me. I'm done here.

I'm sorry Jodi, I must be confused, because I thought Jag was your first border collie mix, and it said on your web site "Welcome to Hay Ewe Border Collies! I have been involved with Border Collies since 1991 when I lived in Southern California. I adopted a "Border Collie mix" from the Pasadena Humane Society for my son in hopes that the dog would play fetch. He didn't. So I decided to find something else for him to do. I saw an ad in the paper for sheep herding, and went out for an instinct test. The minute I saw my dog chase those sheep, I was hooked! I now own five dogs, a big truck, and have moved to Idaho in order to be able to afford some land and some sheep! So for all you out there that say, "Oh, I'd love to see what my dog would do on stock," ... let me be the first to warn you ... this is an expensive statement!

So, I just thought it was Jag and that would put him at about 17. I'm sorry if I read that wrong. No worries. I didn't know Kiva had those lines on both sides -no clue. Plus that was like 4 breeding's back, so don't blame me. LOL. Friends? I'm trying!!!

::Gak!:: :rolleyes: You mean someone actually reads the crap I put up there -- typos and all? No wonder why you thought Jag was on death's door! 1991 should have been 1997.

Not blaming you for anything. Just pointing out that your statement of me having a China / Mick pup would have me running in open right now is baseless. That's all.