BC Boards

Getting weight on a dog

I have to agree, he looks fine. my Happy is 21" tall and she is now 35lbs...at almost 8 years old. for most of her life she was only 25lbs..30lbs when she was on the heavy side. she only just starting to really fill in at the age of 7 years lol. Misty is 18" tall and 35-40lbs, but she was a little twig when she was younger, didnt fill in till she was 3.

If it helps any, I had Daisy on that food you are currently feeding and I couldn't get her to gain any either. She's about 30' and at the time she weighed just under 40# I think being free fed (her food bowl was topped up as it was emptied 3x a day i think). She is crossed with alaskan malamute, so she's a bit "thicker" than most bc's and the vet wanted to see her gain a couple more pounds. Now, she's stopped growing (3yrs) and eating ACANA and needs to loose about 5lbs. ACANA is higher protein than NB and apparently worked wonders for our mutt. But I think he looks ok. He's about a year, aren't they kind of "lanky" and awkward at that age...like a teenager?!

Here's a better shot of Gomer. He's pretty darn skinny and we've put a little weight on him since this picture was taken, but he's got a similar body type to Shine. We do feed him twice a day and that seems to have helped him gain the weight our vet wanted to see on him.

(Gomer is a rescue too, but we were fortunate enough to get his breeder's name and contact info...she sent us pictures of his mommy and daddy, and I have to say Shine is a dead ringer for Tru Blu, Gomer's daddy.)

post-180-1206105680_thumb.jpg

Yeah, you're right, they have the exact same body type and the coat type looks similar too. That'd be weird if they were realted. Here's another shot of him, he actually looks really good in this pic, it doesn't show as much how skinny he is, but it's a good shot of his body...

061_61.jpg

Also, for everyone who suggested it, I'm already feeding twice a day, 1 cup in the morning, 1 cup at night.

Although I really don't think he looks too thin, I wanted to add that sometimes you have to experiment with different foods. For instance, I fed mine Canidae for a while and I just couldn't keep the weight on either one of them. I have fed other foods that made them gain too much. All foods are not right for all dogs. You have to find the one that works for your dog.

Joy is really thin also. She's 23.5 " and 32 pounds. You can feel her ribs, and see her hip bones easily. I don't mind, because she gets a LOT of food (approx. 4 cups per day plus treats) and exercise, and the vet isn't worried. When I needed to put weight on her fast before I got her spayed (she was tinier than usual at 6 months, but she had a humungo growth spurt), I temporarily switched her to the nutro high energy formula. It's high in protein, so she build muscle...not fat.

Same with Orijen, her current kibble. It has a 40-something percent protein level (higher then normal maitenance formulas) so it builds nice tone.