BC Boards

To do or not to do.. that is my question.

Today my trainer made a suggestion, that I dont know much about. So if everyone would be so kind as to tell me opinions, I'd really appreciate it.

She advised that I go to AKC website and get an "IP" or something like that to get her registered so she can compete in obedience. She said to say she's purebred. Ok I immediately have a issue with lying, but I dont know if she isnt or isnt purebred, I assume probably not though. I never considered entering her in competitions. The trainer assures us Riven has huge potential and she is good, but she said she can be extremely good obedience particularly cause she catches onto things so quickly. We feel she thinks WE need more training to control her, not her needing training. So, thoughts?

I don't have an ILP for Maggie - it's through the AKC and costs $26 even if they don't think she looks purebred enough to register. There are several organizations, including the UKC, that allow mixed breeds to compete in obedience regardless of bloodlines.

IME Maggie got bored with obedience very quickly. Agility is more her thing, so we compete in USDAA agility (which also registers mixed breeds aka All Americans).

It's an ILP number.

If you want to compete in obedience, and it can be fun, you can also compete in UKC. Mixed breeds are welcome, so you wouldn't have to register her as a bc if you didn't want. There's also WWKC obedience, and there may be more that I don't know about. In other words, if you don't want to ILP her for AKC, you may have other options.