BC Boards

fetch to cattle...

eyemgh

I posted this in "ask an expert", but I wanted to broaden the chance for response so I'm posting it here too. Thanks in advance!

Jake is a 4 year old border collie. We rescued him as a flea bitten, scrawny 12 week old, bet we've never been an ideal home. He was a cute pup (aren't they all) and we figured he'd be better off in a less than ideal home than dead. We run, walk and play fetch, but Jake requires a larger volume of work. We found a cattle ranch that was willing to give an inexperienced dog a chance knowing that Jake showed some instinctual tendencies with sheep even though he'd never been formally trained. It's very close and the rancher is very friendly, so even though Jake might become his dog, we look at it as though he's moved out to go to college and get a job <g>. We will visit him regularly. So, here's the question: Jake's obsession has been with fetch. That's been what we've been able to do with him to satisfy his drive to work. He's only been on the ranch a few days and he has a trained Aussie to lead by example, but Jake starts to get involved and then breaks off, hunting down a stick and bringing it back to Ted to play fetch. What's the best way to get him to see the potential in working animals and decrease his obsession with fetch? Is it too late at 4? He is very comfortable around cattle and horses. I know it's going to take time, but I was wondering if there are any tips that might help transfer his attention sooner? Thanks!

Mike

post-8599-1205505467_thumb.jpg

He's never worked sheep per se. One of our friends who frequently takes him to her farm took him to a friend who trains dogs to heard sheep. Jake didn't bolt into the heard and blow them up. He was able to work a single back to the flock. Now this is all second hand to me, but the trainer was surprised that he'd never worked livestock before. He reportedly had a great time. That's what gave us the idea to search for a ranch for him. Unfortunately, it's hot enough in our immediate area that cattle are much more common than sheep.

As for Jake's heritage, he was bred by an old crusty rancher. He wasn't an "AKC style" breeder, but he's also not a guy who has an active training/breeding program. He just bred two working dogs really for the wrong reasons, to get a litter of reds because he felt he might make some money on them, very sad. Jake was the runt and likely going to die of malnutrition at the time we rescued him. So, he has genes that know how to work, but I'm not sure if they're turned on <g>.

M

Hi,

I would give him some more time- meanwhile don't play fetch with him at all at home until he is really sure he wants to work.

However, lots of Border Collies have instinct but not necessarily the drive to work. Working cattle is a BIG deal for these dogs- they are far more intimidating than sheep and far more likely to hurt a dog- so be very sure the people helping you know how to start a dog on cattle and keep them as safe as possible. Just keep in mind that Jake may not have what it takes to be a cow dog- it is hard for a dog to break obsessive habits like fetching but a dog that REALLY wants to work will usually forget everything else but COWS! SHEEP! Also, if he is not used to the rancher working him, like kelpiegirl suggested, it may be a response to training or stock pressure- he isn't comfortable with working those big cows or with a stranger, so he looks for something else to do that he knows will be rewarding.

I don't think its necessary for every working type border collie to actually work. Many dogs can have a fulfilling life without working stock- the key is usually more about training/structure than actual physical activity. Most of my dogs, although they work stock and love it, don't "have" to do it in order to be fulfilled- as long as I spend time with them and have clear boundaries/rules, they have no problem finding that "off switch". If you already run, walk and fetch with him and it doesn't seem like enough, look into your expectations of him- its more likely a training problem than an energy problem.