BC Boards

O/T - Care Packages

My brother is serving in Afganistan in the National Guard. He's on base, an Apache mechanic. His birthday is this month. I am CLUELESS what to send. I know my parents sent him like hand sanitizers and baby wipes.. stuff he can put in his pockets. My other brother sent him candy...

I REALLY need ideas. Please!! The package will be the same price in shipping as it would be in the US, so Im not too concerned with size, although I dont want like a huge box.. but ideas please:)

My daughter who is coming home in 32 days loved to get cereal, granola bars and DVD's. I also sent special slippers (anything but green) and her boyfriend liked them too. I sent razors, the kind you couldn't get from the army store, special shampoo (their favorite kind) nice soap, and Sun block. She also wanted small thank you cards that she could send out to all the people that sent her things. Magazines, books, moisturizer (she said her bf used all these too). Just use your imagination and you'll do great.

My daughter is Guard too. She is a heavy equipment operator. Can't wait to get her home!

edited: There are special boxes that go as flat rates. You can stuff them full, much cheaper than sending a box that has to be weighed. Also if your sending electronics the postman told me to lable it as used electronics, that way people were not as apt to steal the boxes.

Kristen

At my work, we "adopted" a Air Force battalion and they had requested things like hard candy (they especially wanted the Werthers chocolate covered toffee - apparently they don't melt in the heat like some of the other chocolate candies); granola bars, individual serving packets of nuts, cereal bars, fruit snacks - basically, things they could stick in a pocket and eat later on. (M&M's were also a hot item.)

They also requested DVDs to help build up their battalion DVD library to watch when they were off duty (action films, were of course, the most requested). We went to local video stores and bought the used DVDs that were 4 for $20 and were able to send a lot of the new releases that way. When we told the store why were were buying them they threw in a couple of extra DVDs for free.

They also really appreciated the small packets of tissue, hand sanitizer and moisturizing lotion. However, we were told that the thing they enjoyed the most was the cards and letters of encouragement and support we put into the box. So, start writing!! :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Ok, thank you guys for your advice. Lemme tell you my list so far... Please gimme opinions anyone.

-Birthday card and Birthday Hat

-Chex Mix

-Carmex (I heard it was better than chapstick for desert climate)

-Lotion

-Eye drops (visine)

-Greeting Cards (that he can send family or friends)

-Door basket ball hoop with foam nerf ball

-Silly Putty

-Sunflower Seeds

-Small Broom with dustpan

-Deep Woods Off (repellant for sand fleas)

-Tylenol

Ok.. opinions, or comments anything please. I really want this to be a great present.

I spent alot of time over there myself a few years back and I can tell you the stuff I liked and asked for.

Werthers were very good.

Avon skin so soft (may sound funny) but mixed with rubbing alcohol works well for sand fleas (better than Off or any of those other repelants.

Koolaid (in the jars with the sugar already added make the water go down better when it is hot.

Jerky. Jerky. Jerky.

Sunflower seeds were also good.

Sunscreen eyedrops (like rewetting drops to clear the grit out)

TP was always in short supply (I still think people ate it)

Wipes might sound good but I found they seemed to attrack the critters.

As odd as this sounds, my hubby's step-sister's daughter (don't try to follow that) is in the military and the thing I remember her asking for was a flea collar - apparently fleas are a problem? or as a general insect repellant/killer - I'm not sure and never got an explanation. Other things were favorite soaps, shampoos, the little things that we think nothing of, but they can't always get. How about some local newspapers? May not be "current" when they get them, but it's still news from home. I'd think books and magazines would be good, too - especially maybe things like mysteries and stuff that they could discuss. I've heard things like Baby wipes, too. How about some just silly things they can have fun with - silly string, stuff like that. Or maybe send an album of copies of pictures when you were kids - even toss in some 'mildly embarrassing' ones, and add current family, friends, and even family pets - if he's into that sort of thing. Maybe a cassette player and have friends and family tape messages for him (skip the player if he has access to one)or a video tape. Hope some of this helps. Have fun and hope he makes it home safe and soon.

I read while googling this subject that flea collars arent made safe for human skin. I dont think he'd use it. I'll try to find that link, but the people advised against it. He's never mentioned fleas, but after all I've read Im sure there has to be an issue with them. You know you said things they could have fun with.. that brought to mind water balloons. :rolleyes::D

In case anyone else wondered... this is what he told me when he wrote me earlier.

Any sprays with DEET would be helpful. Sandfleas aren't an issue here, but mosquitoes are. The terrain looks just like the Boise foothills where I am at.

Chapstick is good and any extras I'll share with others.

As far a goodies go jerky is always a good commodity, along with drink mixes for pint-sized bottles of water. We don't have running drinking water so everything is in bottles. It's always nice to add some flavor to it.

Other than that the possibilities are endless. I'll never reject any gifts. Oh, please don't send any lotions. Everyone has sent me some, and I have a ton - for now anyways.

So good job you guys, great ideas of stuff to send.