BC Boards

Starting May (update)

Denise Wall

Wow, she's looking really good!

Thank you for posting these videos. As someone who has never started a border collie, I find this fascinating.

I am also reading the new book from Outrun Press, which is excellent so far, but to see a young dog at the various stages in her training is just so much more, well, tangible. Please make a DVD - please please please!

Wow, thank you for posting yet another superbly-edited and crystal-clear video! May's outruns are just beautiful! It is so impressive to see her tackling regular chores already at such a young age, too. I love your updates for her--they really are very informative, even for people like me who know absolutely nothing about sheepdog training! Congratulations on what a wonderful young dog she is becoming!! I can't wait for the next installment...BTW, may I please ask what video editing software you are using? I have been looking into getting Adobe Premiere, and although I am very familiar with Photoshop, I know very little about video editing, so I don't know which program would be best for me. In any case, I second the vote for a May DVD--I would definitely be interested in purchasing a copy!!

Thanks SO much Denise. I LOVE watching dogs do chores with sheep. I think it is so important for dogs to have real work to do- it keeps their mind in the game, and the experience is invaluable. She is a VERY nice dog- very mature for her age. I like her quite a bit. By the way, you have such a great voice - you should do voice overs for everyone's videos!

Thanks you guys for the nice comments. It's been a long time since I've had a young one and I'm having a lot of fun with May.

Mojo,

I'm using Final Cut Pro. It's a Mac app. Sort of overkill for this sort of thing but I've been using it for years.

Kelpie girl,

You must have an affinity for Southern accents that others don't necessarily share :rolleyes:

Ummm, is that what Virginia looks like right now? Coz if so, you're breaking my heart. We had over 2 ft of snow this month and it's snowing again.

Never mind, I'll be down there in March. Think you might go to Verna's on the 15th?

But, to my main question: how do you like her so far? Is she what you expected when you did the breeding?

A

It isn't the accent to much, as the tone- if that makes any sense...

Thanks you guys for the nice comments. It's been a long time since I've had a young one and I'm having a lot of fun with May.

Mojo,

I'm using Final Cut Pro. It's a Mac app. Sort of overkill for this sort of thing but I've been using it for years.

Kelpie girl,

You must have an affinity for Southern accents that others don't necessarily share :rolleyes:

Ummm, is that what Virginia looks like right now? Coz if so, you're breaking my heart. We had over 2 ft of snow this month and it's snowing again.

Never mind, I'll be down there in March. Think you might go to Verna's on the 15th?

But, to my main question: how do you like her so far? Is she what you expected when you did the breeding?

A

Hi Andrea,

I wish I lived in Va but unfortunately I live in dull Ole NC. It's just cold and wet here.

No, I won't be going to any trials with her for a while so I won't be at Verna's.

As for your question about if I like her and did I get what I expected, yes, I like her quite a bit. I could write 15 pages on the individual traits but she is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the two parents for most of them. I really wanted the outrun of Scott in May but Robin's the one who got that with Moss (littermate). However, she looks to have a better outrun than Kate so I'm still happy.

I really wanted the outrun of Scott in May but Robin's the one who got that with Moss (littermate).

Mine, all mine! :rolleyes: And he's devilishly handsome to boot...

medium.jpg

You guys better watch out, Denise is going to do REALLY well with May. They're already building up some nice teamwork. It's fun watching them.

That was fantastic. If you're not planning to do a DVD you're nuts. VERY well done and May is looking splendid. Dammit, I should have stolen her when I had the chance! She is wee enough to have stuffed her into my carry-on.

Mojo,

Kelpie girl,

Thanks so much for the info, Denise! BTW, my boyfriend is from Alabama, so I am now a big fan of all different types of Southern accents, as well! I find them very soothing. :D

Mine, all mine! :rolleyes: And he's devilishly handsome to boot...

I've got to get a recent pic of Sage for you. He is Moss' polar opposite in color but otherwise built just like him. After Monday I have a few days off so I will actually have some daylight hours fo pics...

Thanks to all for your comments. I'm glad you're enjoying the videos. YouTube is great.

Melanie,

She's still really little -- 26 lbs last time I weighed her. All the bitches in that litter are very small. I feel like I'm inadvertently starting a new breed of mini border collies. May is fourth generation of my dogs, and they're getting smaller each generation.

We'll get some video of Moss soon so you can see him too.