BC Boards

"Low Emissions" Food?

We live in a small town and are limited to buying food from either Wal-Mart or the grocery store. We feed Ben Iams "Smart Puppy" dog food and he farts all the time. They smell bad too. Anybody think it would be worth it to spend the extra money and gas (no pun intended) to cure the "emissions" problem.

Yes. Good food can make all the difference. Even if he didn't have gas, good food can help them grow better and it's better for them all around. It would be worth it to drive a little while to pick up beter food like "Chicken Soup" "Exclusive" or something of higher quality than Iams. Plus with better food you can feed less. So in the long run you save money because your feeding less.

Gas can be horrible :rolleyes:

Hi there,

My mom spent time in Merritt, and whenever I drive through, I always think "this place is so pretty!". Anyways, looks like there is a feed supply store called Purity Feed Co, on Voght, which carries First Mate. A couple of my friends feed their dogs First Mate and are pretty happy with it. It's probably more expensive than Nutro (I don't know how much Nutro is), more in the range of $65 for a 33lb bag.

Hope that helps!

I drive about 40 miles to get my dog food. I used to get my food an hour and a half away, but a place over the state line started carrying many good products.

You should notice many good things about a food that's higher quality than Iams. Lower volume of stools, less body odor, reduced "dog breath", shinier coat, better body condition, and healthier skin. Dogs do much better on food that is largely meat based, than on food which gets most of its energy from grains.

Check out http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=betterproducts

I couldn't agree more! I would drive to buy my food if I had to! Anything that is bought at a grocery store is sure to have lots of filler and not as much meat so really can't be that good for them in the long run.

Check out that website Rebecca posted....it's a great source of info on dog food. There was also a thread in the Health and Genetics that I posted a link to some info, I'll see if I can find it.

Buying online would be and excellent option! You'd save on food cause you're feeding less, and you wouldn't be spending extra on gas!!

Julie

Or K9 Cuisine has free shipping if you buy more than $50. They have fantastic foods and nice snacks and toys if your order doesn't quite go up to $50. :rolleyes:

Wow, I love this site. I make a post then go to bed and wake up to seven replies. Thanks everyone.

I totaly forgot about Purity Feed. We even buy our grass seed from them for work; I always figured them for horse supplies only.

I have the sort-of the same gas problem with Blaze so I feel your pain. He can't jump on onto or off of anything without a little "poof". :rolleyes: It cracks me up!

Oh my gosh, that is so funny! I'm sitting at my desk with my co-workers wondering what the heck I'm giggling at!

:D:D

Or K9 Cuisine has free shipping if you buy more than $50. They have fantastic foods and nice snacks and toys if your order doesn't quite go up to $50. :D

Becca, thanks for that link! I'm definately going to order from them, their foods and treats look great. I've gleened so much fabulous info from this forum in the short time I've been here!

BC Boards, YOU ROCK!! :rolleyes:

I can't improve on WyoBC's advice, so I'm not going to try. With Canidae and Chicken Soup already mentioned, I would only add to the list of recommended foods (based on my vet's advice and my own experience) Innova, Merrick, and Royal Canin; but these may not be inexpensive alternatives.

I totaly forgot about Purity Feed. We even buy our grass seed from them for work; I always figured them for horse supplies only.

As a city slicker, I had a preconceived notion of what was sold at feed stores (something along the lines of Ol' Roy and Purina). Well, I was totally blown away by the selection of dog foods at the feed store near my friend's farm. Way better than the fancy pet store down the street from me in the heart of Vancouver, and certainly better than the grocery store. Hopefully you can find something higher-quality for your flatulent fellow. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if there is a web site out there that we can look to see if there is a feed store in our area?

If you have a specific brand of food in mind, most company websites will have an inquiry capability where you can find a local store or distributor based on your zip code. Alternatively, you can Google "feed stores jacksonville florida" and get a relatively comprehensive listing of locations. You can also buy dog food on-line, but shipping costs may be prohibitive.

Orijen is great! I have switched Joy from PMR to Orijen due to time issues (WAY to busy, gonna switch her back) and it's fantastic. Her coat is soft, she's not farting very often (unless I slip her table scraps), and she doesn't have a lot of tartar. Oh, and small firm poops. 0 grains, 70 percent meat, and 30 percent fruits/veggies. It's all natural, and they use whole food.

Orijen is great! I have switched Joy from PMR to Orijen due to time issues (WAY to busy, gonna switch her back) and it's fantastic. Her coat is soft, she's not farting very often (unless I slip her table scraps), and she doesn't have a lot of tartar. Oh, and small firm poops. 0 grains, 70 percent meat, and 30 percent fruits/veggies. It's all natural, and they use whole food.

Yup! Orijen is fantastic!! I feed ACAN, which was the first of what they started making....I am thinking of switching over only because there is 0 grains, but I might not since Daisy is a bit chunky just on ACANA, I might end up with a super fat dog if I dont' watch it!!