BC Boards

Knee vs. Sheep?

I'm wondering how many of you out there have had knee problems as a result of close encounters with sheep? What kinds of damage, and what kinds of resulting surgeries has anyone had? I had a ramboulliet try to take out my knee a few weeks ago (actually, she did a fine job of it, so says the MRI), and am scheduled for arthroscopic surgery to remove a horizontal cleavage meniscus tear in March. Will I be good as new, like the doc promises?

A

My husband had that surgeryy done last April. He healed up just fine and dandy. Only took about 2/3 weeks before he was walking pretty good again, and about 2 months and he was able to do most anything. He didnt complain to much about any pain afterwards, but he did say it helped when he put the ice packs on it for a bit. He used that for about 2 weeks periodically after the surgery, and says thats what helped him recover so quickly. Enjoy the rest, and take it easy.

I had the same surgery done two years ago. Knee vs rock while skiing rather than vs sheep.

I was walking within 48 hours and back running in two weeks. The doc said that long term it was a 50/50 proposition as to whether the knee would hold together and last as long as the rest of me or I would need knee replacement surgery in 10 - 15 years.

So far, so good.

Pearse

I had that surgery and was fine until I started running again.....what happened was the Doc said I could go running again, not realizing my version of running was not equal to his version of running. I used to play Ultimate Frisbee and did a lot of hard, fast running so I got sore again but then took a month off and was fine.

The Doc was thinking that I was doing light 1 miles jogs not 3-5 miles intensive running...

One thing that helped was going to the gym and doing lots of leg strengthening workout.....it got rid of my bird legs and as a results my legs looked buff (at that time)

Now the knee is as good as new but I recommend doing the leg workouts.

Diane

Hi

I had blackface nail me when working my dog. He rammed me (he happened to have horns), at the side of my knee and actually pushed my femur back over my tibia, breaking a chunk of the lateral tibial plateau, and tearing the meniscus. Can you say PAIN? Some how I was able to drive myself home (2 hour drive), but by the next morning, my knee was a balloon. To make a long painful story short, I had surgery to clean out the meniscus, and check that there was no displacement of the bone, and was back to life pretty quickly, but, to this day, that knee has never been the same. Swells up when I use it too much, and I am on a once daily anti-inflammtory (Meloxicam). I wan to reiterate, I can function pretty normally, and did so quickly after the surgery, so quick that some folks thought I never was injured! Perhaps the confounding thing is the fracture mixed in with the tear, I don't know, but I am good enough to function enough for me.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Julie, I'm assuming mine should be more straightforward, as there is no fracture. I'll let everyone know how it goes,

A

Best wishes for a full recovery! I have not had what has happened to you but I have had a pig tear the ligaments in my knee and a sheep do some damage to my thigh/hamstring, and I'm not sure that the worrying isn't almost as bad as the injury.

Anna

I think Christine H had the exact same injury as mine (fracture and all) as well. Yeah, I would say that you should be fine. Remember to take the pain medication when you leave the OR building. I didn't. I thought "hey, no pain, that's great!" but, I didn't remember that they numbed my knee, and when that wore off. OWWWWW.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, I had a sheep run into the outside of my left knee while working a young dog and de-worming sheep this past July 4th. Strained the MCL and fractured the tibial plateau. Luckily, I did not need surgery (but six weeks on crutches and non-weight bearing really sucked!) and just finished with physical therapy about a month ago. It still hurts when it is cold and wet outside, but for the most part, it is fine... although I do still get a little nervous working young, exuberant dogs and see sheep headed towards me! ;-)

I know EXACTLY what you mean about being nervous around young dogs and sheep now, too!

A

I am new to this discussion board thing. So I hope I am doing it right.

But I have to share a funny story.

I was moving a flock of rams a short distance down a dirt road with our young dog.

This dog works great and is pretty tough but she is from the dog pound and is scared of sticks of any kind and of you raising your voice.

Well anyway I turned my attention off the rams and wouldn't you know one big black horned ram caught me in the legs and tumbled me down the road.

I was pretty mad so started yelling at the ram and for my husband who sadly is kind of deaf.

The young dog spooked and ran home thinking that she had did something wrong. The old dog in our cabin set up barking but my husband couldn't hear him because he is kind of deaf.

The ram starts butting me on the ground and I think to myself this is very bad, I finally catch the ram and manage to flip him in the road on his back. But I don't want to let him go as I am afraid he'll just start hitting me again. (And I am getting old!) The only thing I can think to do is to choke him untill he passes out and then get up and grab a big branch. All the time I am yelling for my husband but he doesn't hear me BECAUSE HE IS DEAF!

The ram fights this whole thing and is kicking me.

Finally the ram gets rather tired of it and gives up, this may be because his lack of air.

Some tourists drive up and I think were going to ask for directions but change their minds when they see me on top of this ram with the rest of the flock running off dust flying down this dirt road.

They drive quickly away before I can ask them to maybe help an old lady off the ground.

I get off the ram and grab a big branch and chase the ram down the road.

The poor little new dog finally realises that she isn't to blame and helps move him quick.

My husband comes outside for a breathe of fresh air and explains to me that I am rushing the poor ram flock and wearing them out.

'Just look at that old black ram.'

I put the flock in and the explain to my husband why he needs a hearing aid!

The ram is now sausage.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd update...had arthroscopic knee surgery for a meniscus tear a week ago yesterday (caused by that close encounter with a sheep), and it was the coolest thing ever! Used a crook to help walk around for about 3 days, and a week later, no swelling, no pain, no limp, walking as good as new! Am packing the trailer today to leave for a cattle trial 2 days' drive away (trial is on horseback). I'm glad I didn't put off having the surgery...

A

I just read this. That is SOME story!!! I would have hated to be you....

I am new to this discussion board thing. So I hope I am doing it right.

But I have to share a funny story.

I was moving a flock of rams a short distance down a dirt road with our young dog.

This dog works great and is pretty tough but she is from the dog pound and is scared of sticks of any kind and of you raising your voice.

Well anyway I turned my attention off the rams and wouldn't you know one big black horned ram caught me in the legs and tumbled me down the road.

I was pretty mad so started yelling at the ram and for my husband who sadly is kind of deaf.

The young dog spooked and ran home thinking that she had did something wrong. The old dog in our cabin set up barking but my husband couldn't hear him because he is kind of deaf.

The ram starts butting me on the ground and I think to myself this is very bad, I finally catch the ram and manage to flip him in the road on his back. But I don't want to let him go as I am afraid he'll just start hitting me again. (And I am getting old!) The only thing I can think to do is to choke him untill he passes out and then get up and grab a big branch. All the time I am yelling for my husband but he doesn't hear me BECAUSE HE IS DEAF!

The ram fights this whole thing and is kicking me.

Finally the ram gets rather tired of it and gives up, this may be because his lack of air.

Some tourists drive up and I think were going to ask for directions but change their minds when they see me on top of this ram with the rest of the flock running off dust flying down this dirt road.

They drive quickly away before I can ask them to maybe help an old lady off the ground.

I get off the ram and grab a big branch and chase the ram down the road.

The poor little new dog finally realises that she isn't to blame and helps move him quick.

My husband comes outside for a breathe of fresh air and explains to me that I am rushing the poor ram flock and wearing them out.

'Just look at that old black ram.'

I put the flock in and the explain to my husband why he needs a hearing aid!

The ram is now sausage.

Glad to hear your surgery went smoothly and your back on track. Good luck at the trial. Have a safe trip.