BC Boards

Usher is heeling off leash- Bailey is settling

:D I just haven't trusted him and I took him for his lessons, which are every other Wednesday and my instructor said "Take that leash off". So, I put on the tab and what do you know, the little devil that was so hard to train is now working for me off leash while she throws balls and squeaks toys at him to try and distract him. I'm so proud of the progress he's made.

I told her. I realize my mistakes. I make a correction and I don't use much "chatter" I don't remind him "heel" I just give the correction- It's been awhile and I have slipped in my training of young ones. I also forget to tell him good heel or good watch, after the correction. I'm not very vocal. BUT, I'm glad I noticed it before my trainer did. I am now starting a freebie class on Sundays with between 8-21 dogs at a time :rolleyes: Usher isn't quite 1 1/2 years old yet and still has a lot of "puppy" in him. Males!!!

Now, onto brag about Bailey- poor thing. Her group class is doing well. NO signs of dog aggression, yet she hides under the chair and is afraid of the clicker. Tuesday, we learned "leave it". I'm always the one to move a step forward - and put the cookies on her paws and she did so well. She no longer has to be separated from the group. She is doing well with tiny dogs and big dogs- there is a beautiful border collie mix there with one blue eye I'd take home in a minute. The older gentleman is having quite the trouble with her.

BTW- even though Usher's trainer is an ACK judge, she highly promotes the purchase of working dogs vs. show dogs. She has worked with both and says she has noticed the difference and even though they take a little longer to "settle" (not her exact words) she would, if that were her breed- take a working breed over a show breed. Just goes to show you that even AKC judges know the differences in smarts of the working bred border collie vs the barbie collie.

I really doubt that I will take Bailey to Alice, she is 4-5 years old and basically does what I want her to do at home. Usher on the other hand needs training because he works for me as a service dog, which he did beautifully today-

Tomorrow is our neuro appt- which my DR. said "BRING YOUR DOG" So- Usher will be working, in vest again tomorrow

Thanks for listening to my brags on both my dogs- we have come a long ways from the pup that dragged me out of a patio chair- LOL.

Dianne