BC Boards

"A Dog's Eye View"

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the tip about the upcoming Outdoors Maryland show about working sheepdogs! I would imagine that you are one of the trainers featured in this episode? There is an old episode of this program about Border Collies called "The Eyes Have It" which is still aired occasionally, but it is good to know that MPT has filmed a "new and improved" episode. Terrific news!!!

nancy

Hi again Mark,

Wow....it is wonderful that some outstanding Maryland handlers are being featured in the episode! For those who are outside of the Maryland Public Television broadcast range, the Outdoors Maryland programs can be ordered online (link below). The new episode (#1907) is not yet available (probably not until after it airs), but amazingly, the old episode (#706) is still on the list!

nancy

http://shop.mpt.org/marketplace/product_de...1487&storekey=3

Julie, do you have a program description for episode #706? It's old enough that it isn't listed on the Outdoors Maryland website, but if it's a similar topic, I'd probably order it along with the new one. I really like watching this stuff on TV, even though nothing compares to watching it in person. Thanks for the heads-up, all.

I did a little investigation and found this episode.

Tuesday, January 2 at 2:30 p.m. -- Premiere

Outdoors Maryland gathers the cream of the video crop to create this "Dog Special." The program features "Rabbit Run," an Emmy Award winning segment about the Hill Bridge Beagles and their passion for chasing rabbit. "Wit and Fire" investigates the Jack Russell Terriers and training techniques for the breed. The final segment, "The Eyes Have It," highlights Border Collies and how they learn to work the herd. This program repeats on Thursday, January 4 at 8:00 p.m.

Source: MPT Press Release

When I asked for the episode number so I could order it, I was told to "simply ask for the Dog Special which aired originally on 1/4/01". You may have to contact MPT (not shop online) to purchase this show.

Mark

Hello everyone,

Here's a bit more information about the older episode of Outdoors Maryland about Border Collies entitled "The Eyes Have It". The segment is approximately 12 minutes long, and it is included with two other segments in the half hour show. This segment gives basic information about the usefulness of Border Collies for flock management, and it includes many enjoyable scenes of the dogs and sheep. It also includes a few errors in the narrative, but I'm sure that they were unintentional. One problem with shows like this is that they are usually edited by someone who has little understanding of the subject. I imagine that many of the best scenes ended up on the cutting room floor, in favor of those which have a bit more general "human interest". However, it is still a nice little piece that presents some of the benefits and joys of working with Border Collies.

One of my favorite scenes is of a dog holding a group of hungry ewes off of the feeders. The ewes stand at a respectful distance from the feeders, while a rather "benign" appearing dog calmly lies in front of them. It appears that the dog is doing very little to influence the sheep, until she is called off and the ewes make a mad dash to the feeders.

There is a brief visit to The Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival in the episode, which features the working sheepdog demos. Unfortunately, Nathan Mooney (who provides the sheepdog demos at the festival) is not identified, even though an audio clip of him is included.

I am really looking forward to seeing the new Outdoors Maryland episode that Mark mentioned, "The Dog's Eye View". I plan to order both episodes, especially since they are now available on DVD for $14.95 each (each episode used to cost $24.95 for a VHS tape).

I hope that this information helps.

Regards to all,

nancy