BC Boards

Howdy!

Greetings! I stumbled across this forum yesterday while looking for info on BC's. Needless to say, I was geeked! I have no experience or knowledge of working BC's but what I've read so far is great. Lot's of info and insite.

Allow me to introduce myself. I'm a middle-age, divorced dog-mom with no human kids. I have a 6 month old BC mix that I adopted when he was still an 8 week-old baby through Petfinders.com. Hope I'm not vilolating any forum rules by mentioning that. And I really hope that Lewie being a mix is OK.

I work full time so Lewie goes to doggie day-care 2-3 times a week to give him supervised exercise and socialization. I have one lazy ole' cat (inherited) who the puppy thinks should be a squeak toy! Luckily, the cat is very tolerant. I've been a "dog peron" all my life and can honestly say that since the age of 14 I've only been without a dog(s) for a total of 1 year and 3 weeks. Worst year and 3 weeks of my life!!

Anyway, just wanted to say hi.

Hi! :rolleyes:

Welcome! We love rescues - Petfinder.org is a great resource, and so is local breed rescue (sometimes listed in Petfinder, sometimes not). We also love responsible breeders who breed strictly with livestock working ability in mind. We also love all folks who want to geek (as you say) about Border Collies, as long as they are aware of the guidelines in READ THIS FIRST.

Hope to hear more from you soon!

Thanks Rebecca. I did read it and appreciate much of it. I remember when the AKC recognized the BC and remember thinking, "How can we standardized such a marvelously diverse-looking breed? It's the beginning of their (BC's) demise." I'm glad to say that judging by the pics I've seen here so far, that hasn't happened.

Maralynn, my av is Lewie. I know it's small but I don't know how to enlarge without making it grainy. When I figure out how to post pics I'll put up a few. I have to keep my postings down to a dull roar right now as I'm as work (shhhh!). :rolleyes:

From what I was told by the rescue group pres, Lewie's mom was kept tied out at the end of a chain (grrrrr!-that's me growling, not the dog) so I imagine dad was a traveling salesman. Geneology is a guess at best. When he was little my day-care gal did tell me he looked like he might have Bernese in him. Bernese!? Yikes! My house isn't that big! But so far, at 6 months he's 50 pounds. He's a little bigger than I had in mind when I thought BC but I'm still good with it.

Welcome! Petfinder is great and so are you for adopting a dog and giving him (and the fat cat) a happy home. No shame in being a mix (or any other kind of dog for that matter) - the only shame is in *irresponsible* dog ownership, breeding, selling, etc., and that's never the dog's fault.

Welcome! Petfinder is great and so are you for adopting a dog and giving him (and the fat cat) a happy home. No shame in being a mix (or any other kind of dog for that matter) - the only shame is in *irresponsible* dog ownership, breeding, selling, etc., and that's never the dog's fault.

Amen and Amen!

I've posted a few pics of the kid over at the gallery topic.