BC Boards

Socialization

Help me please I think I'm a bad mother. I have a 7 month old female who I have had sence two weeks of age. I think I have coddled her to much and haven't done any socialization. She is afraid of new people, the truck, the leash. She works great off the leash at home. But I know she needs more. Am I to late? I tried to put her in puppy classes but have FEW selections here in my small town and just now got a call back from a school. I can't make this class because I am traveling in June. What can I do now until I can get into another class. Should I enter into this class even though I'm going to be gone most of June? I plan on taking Maggie on my road trip or do you think that is to much for her. I will have another dog with her who loves to travel. I will search the arcives also but any help would be great.

It's never too late. Zoe is now 11 months of age and it was only 2 months ago that we started class - I wanted to socialize her earlier, but the winter was so cold out and she was SO afraid of everything that I couldn't take her anywhere. I felt/feel bad about it too! But it doesn't matter when you start, the sooner the better, but later's better than nothing.

If you're going to be missing more than a week of class I'd wait until the next cycle, personally. I want to sign Zoe up for Intermediate class, but I'm in the same boat - I'm going to be away for two weeks in June. Considering each class is only 6-8 weeks long, that's a good chunk to miss, and I think it's more improtant that they get those classes in.

In the meantime - take her for walks, let her drink in the experiences around her without forcing anything on her. Don't let people just walk up and pet her - let her approach them, if she wants to. practice things she already knows at home - sit, down, stay, etc - in different locations with people at a distance.

Good luck!

I found her on the side of the rode when she was about two weeks old. So I have done nothing but coddle her since she had an "iffy" start to life. Plus I have two kids one that isn't walking yet. During the winter it was to cold to go places with the kids and Maggie. Hubby would get home after dark so that was out. I tried to call the dog schools but never got call backs until last week. Now it's kinda hard to take Maggie and the kids out because she is afraid and tries to bolt or herd me back to her comfort zone. But now that is is light longer I am able to take her on my afternoon free time. Thanks for asking instead of assuming :rolleyes: