BC Boards

Wool Processors

I know about McAusland's; I'd like to find one closer to MD to save on the shipping. At a trial last fall a group of us were discussing processors and someone mentioned there was a processor in the northeast (USA) that will processes raw wool into blankets. Does anyone know the name of the mill?

I did find Waterside Woolen Mill on the web and have asked if they process raw wool. They have not answered me.

Mark

Mark,

Nanney Kennedy in Washington, Maine runs a successful wool business. She produces and sells the "Maine Blanket". I don't know the mill she has her wool processed into blankets but her blankets, sweaters and yarns are gorgeous and well known. Her website is:

http://www.getwool.com/maineblanket/mb-project.htm

If you contact her I'm sure she would tell you who processes her wool.

Sharon

When I was working on a blanket project four years ago, the choices were MacAuslands or finding several mills for various steps in the process. Peggy Hart in Buckland, Mass., weaves a nice blanket, but doesn't clean, card, or spin. We ended up shipping raw wool to somewhere in Minnesota (and I'm sorry to say I don't remember where because I wasn't on that committee) and having the finished yarn shipped to Peggy.

It looks like there are some links to spinneries on Peggy's website http://www.blanketweave.com/

• 2 weeks later...

A friend found this place at MD Sheep & Wool last year. She was very happy with the blankets from them.

Shepherds Mill Farm

158 Jefferson Rd

Elmer, NJ 08318

856-358-2329

Their cost is $85 for a queen sized blanket and they need 20 lbs of raw

wool. Thank goodness no washing required just reasonable skirting.

Mark