BC Boards

Portable/Soft Crate Recos

Lin

Hi all. I am finally getting ready to take Skye to Agility matches. I have one of those "pop-up" crates that have no real stability and want to get a portable/soft crate that will be sturdy (I really hate it when I see the crate going end-over-end! :rolleyes: )

I have done many searches on-line and find quite a few brands. I would love input (positive and negative) on what brand works for you. For instance, I've 'heard' that the Midwest Canine Camper is very heavy to carry; the Noz2Noz pinches fingers, etc. But there are also PetMate, PetNation, It's a Breeze, Pet Gear -- the list goes on and on. And each brand seems to have multiple models.....

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks.

I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Gear-Soft-Sided-...e/dp/B00065Z4FU

Jackson was a little claustrophobic so I wanted something that was open without having to carry a heavy metal crate. I like having the 3 openings and the entire side opens which makes it easier for him to get in and out. I usually leave the top open when I'm at a competition so I can pet him and give him water easily. It is a little heavy, but the frame is really sturdy. However, the locking pieces are kind of flimsy and I managed to bend them up pretty early. But the frame and cover is pretty strong. Jackson doesn't chew or jump around so I've never had to test its durability. It is pretty roomy and comfy. We call it the "Cadillac" because he has so much room (I was really worried about him being nervous so i went up a size. I over did it a bit lol).

And i got it through the Petco website. The shipping was too much and i could return it at the store if it was the wrong size.

Another con: It doesn't fold up all that small. It is flat, but the bottom is still big and takes a lot of room in my truck. Also I"m only 5'1 so it is hard to carry without dragging the ground. They make a Jeep version as well that has 2 hinges, one on the top and bottom so it folds up into a smaller square instead of a huge rectangle.

I like my PetNation crates. At the time I bought my first one, it was the only one I'd seen with the self-contained braces that just popped together (there are now similar models). It was also the first one I'd seen with the door in the top - again, I've seen them with side doors too, now, but none in the same price range.

I don't use the soft crates for dogs that bounce around so sturdiness is not an issue for me. The poles are metal so it's nice and stable - though if I'm crating outdoors I use the tent stake tabs.

It's a surprisingly sensible and sturdy crate for the money. I've got two and the oldest is about four years old now.

My Itz a Breeze Too crate worked well for the past 4.5 yrs until Maggie killed it a few weeks ago - until then it permanently resided in my car and withstood minor scratching on the mesh. I did notice the nylon tie downs and other parts did weaken from sitting in the sun 24/7, but that's only been in the last year or so.

I also have a Pet Gear crate. We replaced our huge wire frame with this size..... http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Gear-Soft-Sided-...d_sim_k_title_2 Meg is only about 38 lbs when she's wet. This suits her perfectly. It has enough structural integrity that my cat can sleep on top. It sits in the living room next to my easy chair facing toward the center of the room. She uses it all day long...we keep the mesh flap down and unzipped. She LOVES IT. After a few wary smells, it became home more than her previous crate had ever been. It is without question 'hers'. I would recommend this to anyone.

It is important to note that Meg is a relentless child that will go through steel plate and bound 7 foot walls to get in or out of what she wants. She has never even scratched the walls of this crate.

I bought the Noz2Noz X-series crate for my dane mix - it was the largest collapsible fabric crate on the market when I bought it three years ago (and I haven't seen anything bigger since). I haven't had any issues with my fingers being pinched - as long as you don't leave them between the poles when you are collapsing the crate you'll be fine :D You can also buy replacement covers but my cover still looks great.

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...p;ParentCat=158

My kelpie mix uses the Sports Pet pop-up crate. It's super lightweight, easy to set up, although not good for a dog who tends to roll around because it doesn't have a hard frame like the Noz 2 Noz crates.

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...p;ParentCat=158

I buy her size from Target for $25 when I'm in the US.

I also see a lot of the Canine Camper crates that people seem to be happy with, although they are heavier than the pop-up crates and take up more room. I didn't find them that heavy, but that's also in comparison to the 48" Noz 2 Noz :rolleyes:

ETA - the crate I see people buy once and then replace quickly is the Petmate Portable Pet Home - the zipper seems to get wrecked , maybe because the stress on the zipper is what helps the crate hold its shape.

Is PetNation made by Noz2Noz? When I googled them, the Noz2Noz site popped up with a picture that looked almost identical but cost $50 more than it does at Walmart...

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you all so much for your input. As usual, your info is priceless and so much appreciated!

Lin

I thought it only responsible to let you all know what soft crate I finally purchased -- I got a Noz2Noz X-Series crate. It's VERY nice (sturdy), easy to open and close, easy to carry (I'm not quite 5' tall, so that was important to me), and very nice looking. The only drawback I see (and I'm not sure if this will matter to me since I usually cover the crate anyway) is that the top does not have a screen. The sides, front and back have large screens with roll down flaps for 'privacy'. Good air circulation. I'm very pleased. Also a zipper lock (clip).

BTW -- You can find really good deals on ebay if you are patient.

Thanks again for the input!

Lin

I'm looking for a nice crate, also. Usher is ready for a soft crate. So, it's time for his crate to retire and get a soft crate for him and Bailey gets the "hand-me-down" She doesn't chew, but she escapes. Also, not knowing her well enough yet, I'm worried about what she will do with loud noises. That might create a problem with a soft crate for her. Usher would do well with one. Thanks for your input. Do you have the dimensions?

I'm looking for a nice crate, also. Usher is ready for a soft crate. So, it's time for his crate to retire and get a soft crate for him and Bailey gets the "hand-me-down" She doesn't chew, but she escapes. Also, not knowing her well enough yet, I'm worried about what she will do with loud noises. That might create a problem with a soft crate for her. Usher would do well with one. Thanks for your input. Do you have the dimensions?

Available In Six Sizes

X-Small (Burgundy & Black—Model X-21) 21"L x 15"W x 15"H, For Pets Up To 15 lbs

Small (Blue & Black—Model X-26) 26"L x 18"W x 21"H, For Pets Up To 30 lbs

Medium (Green & Black—Model X-30) 30"L x 21"W x 23H", For Pets Up To 40 lbs

Large (Teal & Black—Model X-36) 36"L x 24"W x 27"H, For Pets Up To 70 lbs

X-Large (Gray & Black—Model X-42) 42"L x 28"W x 31"H, For Pets Up To 90 lbs

XX-Large (Green & Black—Model X-48) 48"L x 30"W x 34"H, For Pets Up To 110 lbs

I got the Medium and Skye weighs 37lbs. If your dog is any bigger you should go up a size -- the weight limits don't tell the whole truth! It would be nice to have the X-36, but I was afraid of more weight.

Most crates come in these same sizes. You might consider the Noz2Noz N series -- I'll bet it's the same thing only cheaper. Both the N series and X series' covers are removable and washable and have replacement covers available. Can't imagine needing a replacement, they're pretty tough. Also, the Pet Nation crates look nice (same company), but I didn't like that the 'windows' (shaped like a bone) were so small.

Naturally, as soon as I got mine, I saw a crate at agility class that folded down really thin -- I'll have to ask the woman what kind it is. I can let you know if you'd like.

Lin

Usher is at 42 pds and very lean. In a crate, he usually just "chills". I don't worry too much about the height as he just lays down and curls up and sleeps- it's his "den". I actually think the smaller the better, as long as he's comfy- like a dog bed. They seem to like the smaller ones when they are just relaxing. Just my opinion. as always.

Just wanted to add- I would make sure my dog was "soft crate proof" (I am sure you have done this though, but I just wanted to make sure!)

I bought a $90 one from Petsmart...the most sturdy one and I was going to use it for classes and agility trials for my Sheltie. Well in less than 15 minutes it was being dumped over and he tore it up by the zipper and got out. (High drive dog utterly pissed that he was not out working at the time and that I was working with another Sheltie for someone...LOL) I cant use anything but wire crates with him though. I dont think I will ever use a soft crate again after seeing how easily they were ripped apart and tumped over.

How can you tell? He goes in doesn't chew, respects it. I don't know. I don't know what would happen if something "exciting" were to appear. I'm just talking about at home. Believe me, I am the original person that said "My dog won't do that" LOL.

If it was just for at home and the crate would be for indoor use only, it wouldnt probably be much of a problem. I only had use for one to take to classes and such..and well both dogs are VERY high drive (peeling off the walls sort of drive when its agility or training time) and so they will do anything in their upmost power to be able to work. If you have a bit more mellow dog who is polite in the crate, even when visitors come inside the house, then you should be ok. I know of some dog shows NOT allowing soft crates due to dogs breaking out of them and getting loose and such. I just would rather use the wire ones since we go so many places that are outdoors and getting loose when I am out running another dog could end up fatal.