BC Boards

Hello! New Here.

Hello there! I've been lurking these boards for quite a while and figured that it was about time to join. :D I'm Tori, I have an eight year old Rough Collie (my favourite breed, as the user name suggests), and a two year old rescued Papillon mix. I live in Ontario, Canada, and I'm starting my Papillon mix in agility in January. We've had to overcome many obstacles with him (he's experienced extensive prior abuse), but I'm pleased to say that I've come a long, long way with him. It's been trying, but such a rewarding experience.

I've learnt so much about the working Border Collie through this forum, a topic of which I was admittedly ignorant to before. Obviously I was well aware that the Border Collie was a herding breed, but I was still much in the dark on the whole working vs. Barbie Collie situation. It really is a shame seeing such a great working breed like the Border Collie being transformed into a fancy show dog with no recollection of its original purpose. :rolleyes:

Our Rough Collie was purchased from a working farm- both of her parents were used for herding livestock, and she has extremely strong herding instincts. I really regret not getting her into herding, she'd be such a natural. We got her well before we were educated on working dogs, animal rescue and such, but I hope to do herding with my next Rough Collie. I wonder if the whole working vs. show situation is the same for my beloved breed, but I imagine that it probably is like that for every breed. :D

I can't wait to meet you all and learn more! :D

Welcome Tori. I'm glad you enjoy the boards. We try to keep it nice around here :D:rolleyes: What's your puppers name? She looks beautiful.

Hi and Welcome to the boards! Sally is so pretty. :rolleyes: I've always loved the Rough Coated Collies, but never had one. I'm definitely a collie breed person, considering I live with 1 BC and 3 Shelties. :D Once again, welcome and hope you enjoy your stay.

I wonder if the whole working vs. show situation is the same for my beloved breed, but I imagine that it probably is like that for every breed. :rolleyes:

Welcome. There's a very interesting history to the rough collie, since the rough collie as a breed comes from the same foundation stock as the border collie. This is the quick and dirty history: The divergence came about with the advent of conformation showing and Queen Victoria's interest in the collie breed. She began breeding them, and ultimately, crossed borzois into the show collie (which originally looked more like the original collie/border collie prototype) to get the modern look we know today (in case you wondered where the height and that loooong nose came from!). But the origins of the rough (and smooth) collies are the same as those of the border collie.

And yes, if you want a working collie, you will need to pay close attention to the breeding of the dogs you're looking at. As I understand it there are just a very few show lines of rough collies that are also being bred for working ability, so you will have to look hard to find a dog that's considered working bred (and keep in mind that since working ability was ignored for generations and then when interest was once again gained in that area, breeders started trying to breed the ability back in--a monumental, if not nearly impossible, task--which is of course why the working folk don't have much truck with conformation folk, because despite all evidence to the contrary, those who have gone the conformation route with border collies have convinced themselves that they can breed solely for a look and they won't lose herding instinct). That said, I've gotten this information secondhand through a herding list that caters mostly to conformation showing people. I suppose it's possible that there are folks out there who have always put work above conformation fads when breeding their collies, but I imagine finding someone like that would be like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack.

And your papillon cross is adorable! Enjoy your time here--it's a great place to learn about border collies, and especially working border collies.

J.

Welcome. There's a very interesting history to the rough collie, since the rough collie as a breed comes from the same foundation stock as the border collie. This is the quick and dirty history: The divergence came about with the advent of conformation showing and Queen Victoria's interest in the collie breed. She began breeding them, and ultimately, crossed borzois into the show collie (which originally looked more like the original collie/border collie prototype) to get the modern look we know today (in case you wondered where the height and that loooong nose came from!). But the origins of the rough (and smooth) collies are the same as those of the border collie.

And yes, if you want a working collie, you will need to pay close attention to the breeding of the dogs you're looking at. As I understand it there are just a very few show lines of rough collies that are also being bred for working ability, so you will have to look hard to find a dog that's considered working bred (and keep in mind that since working ability was ignored for generations and then when interest was once again gained in that area, breeders started trying to breed the ability back in--a monumental, if not nearly impossible, task--which is of course why the working folk don't have much truck with conformation folk, because despite all evidence to the contrary, those who have gone the conformation route with border collies have convinced themselves that they can breed solely for a look and they won't lose herding instinct). That said, I've gotten this information secondhand through a herding list that caters mostly to conformation showing people. I suppose it's possible that there are folks out there who have always put work above conformation fads when breeding their collies, but I imagine finding someone like that would be like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack.

And your papillon cross is adorable! Enjoy your time here--it's a great place to learn about border collies, and especially working border collies.

J.

Wow, thanks so much! That's extremely interesting, because I always swore that I saw some Borzoi in the Collie! I know that my Sally is a 'Scotch' Collie (also known as a 'farm Collie'), which was the type used for working (both her sire and dam were used for herding livestock). I don't think that there are many show lines at all that are also bred for working, it seems that most Collie breeders are more into conformation (or the ones I've come across, anyways). It's a shame, because I'd love to do herding with a Collie. :rolleyes:

Thanks to the others for the welcome. I'm learning so much already! :D

Welcome to the boards, Tori. :rolleyes: You're already familiar with me and my dogs, particularly my Border collie, Quynn. It's wonderful to have you here!

Sally could pass as a female version of my Rough Collie, Garth, whom I let go four years ago.