BC Boards

Chicken Bones

gypsy84

Today while everyone was out, my sister's $)%*^% cat pulled open the cupboard door where the garbage is kept in the kitchen, and spread it out all over the floor. Gypsy and our other dog never get into anything, but recently the cat's been getting into things more and more often.

Well last night we had chicken, and the carcass was put in the garbage. Today when I got home form uni, it was gone, along with who knows what else. How worried should I be about bones getting stuck or splintering inside Gypsy? Is there anything I can give her? Should I take her in to the vets? Or is it best just to wait it out?

I'm really worried, she's acting completely normal and asking for her dinner, but if there's anything I should do please let me know ASAP

I happens all the time to dogs, don't panic. It's usually beef/lamp/pork bones that are large enough to get stuck that you need to worry about. Just feed her dinner to provide some padding for her tummy. I would be MUCH more worried if she ate one of those stupid smoked bones they sell in pet stores.

ETA, I had a dog that ate a glass thermometer with mercury and he was just fine. Poison control had me feed him a loaf of bread to absorb the mercury, but they were more concerned about the glass.

You know, we always hear horror stories about cooked chicken bones, but I know a couple of folks who routinely feed their dogs leftover chicken, bones and all, to no ill effect. I also had a dog steal someone's chicken off their plate at a trial while we were preoccupied with a sheep that had cut istelf on a cattle panel (the set out crew never gets a break, but the set out dog sure was happy with her luck in the "free food" department!). She didn't have any trouble either, although I was plenty worried. While I don't recommend taking the chance of feeding cooked bones, I don't think I'd panic either. I would probably go ahead and feed her, as I'd think extra food in the gut could serve to "cushion" any bones. If you're worried, it's never wrong to call the vet and ask his/her opinion. Your vet would also be the best person to tell you what to do to help the bones pass safely.

J.

Thanks for the replies, I think I can breathe a little easier now :rolleyes:

I've just always heard that chicken bones were so bad for dogs, I automatically assumed the worst when I realized what had happened. Gypsy has since gobbled down her food and is acting completely normal still.

Since mine is not allowed chicken (bad, bad output :D ), he will try anything he can to get his paws on any chicken remains, including chicken bones. It's happen a few times that he got in the garbage and took some bones out and ate them. He didn't get any sicker than usual when he eats chicken :rolleyes: When I was a growing up, I used to feed my dog, Blackie, all the cooked chicken bones we had. Other than one incident when she almost choked on one and I had to stick my finger down her throght and pull out the bone, she lived a happy 15.5 years life!