BC Boards

What is Going On?!?!?

Spokanimal Shelter:

http://search.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi

If you put in the zipcode 99202 and search for borders there's so many!!

Before I got Poppy and Pepper all this pound ever had were pits, shepherds, labs and sometimes rotts.

Now look at all the borders!! This is awful (I mean it's awful when there are any animals in there actually).

But is it the time of year or something????

Wow I never saw that many until now. And I had been searching for a dog for awhile before we got our two pups.

Before I got Poppy and Pepper all this pound ever had were pits, shepherds, labs and sometimes rotts.
I am sorry, but this is simply NOT true. PNW BC Rescues have been working their rear ends off for years trying to help as many border collies in WA, OR and ID shelters as they can. Maybe half our rescues are from the US PNW as well because the problem is so bad, and we have been taking dogs from there for SIX YEARS. It's just not true that suddenly BCs are everywhere but there were none when you were looking. But more than likely, you didn't want adults or young adults and so you didn't "see" them when you were looking, because you wanted puppies.

I know, because I get the email requests (along with PNW rescuers) almost every blessed day begging for help with this, that and the other dog in a shelter needing rescue placement desperately.

RDM

True or not, I would believe there probably is, or has been (in the past) an increase of BC's needing homes because they are very popular on TV and in movies - have been for several years now. Plus, it seems that agility, herding, frisbee, various dog sports are getting more attention - and BC's tend to be very recognizable - not to mention the good looks, they come in short or longer hair, and are a versatile size. Take a BC somewhere there's just a random crowd of people and you'll be asked if he heards, if he's a frisbee dog, things like that - and by people that don't even know the breed - just recognize them from what they've seen on TV.

I've got to agree with those who say that there has been quite a proliferation of border collies in the PNW for a while. I adopted my dog Chase from the Spokane area last April. When I was looking for him, I browsed petfinder for that area and was amazed at how many purebred border collies were available in Washington and Idaho. Much more than we have in my area.

If you were only looking for puppies at the time, you would have missed seeing many of the available dogs.

For the last three years we have been pulling Border Collies and some mixes and Aussies from Spokanimal as soon as they become available. We have taken ten dogs to Inland Northwest Rescue in Hayden Lake, Idaho (Mary Ann Lindsay). We are at Spokanimal twice a week photographing all the adoptable dogs and putting them on Petfinder. So unless they are reclaimed by an owner, or adopted immediately, we usually get them. Our own two were adopted from this shelter. (see Three More Amigos in the Gallery) We have also noticed that any medium sized black dog with white can be listed as a BC mix, and when you do a Petfinder search, you get all the mixes, as well as the purebreds. Mary Ann has taken mixes (see her Happy Tails list on Petfinder) but they have to act like Borders or Aussies for her to take them. The number of BC's that show up in shelters here is small compared to Pits, Rotts, and Labs. I also train at SCRAPS, our County shelter, so I see this same pattern at both of these shelters. I am only at SCRAPS once a week, so I may miss some.

I had only been looking for a dog for a month. All I meant was that I never saw that many bc's until now.

That isn't to say they weren't there. I just had only been looking for a month and all of a sudden noticed them.

Sorry if I made anyone mad.