BC Boards

At what age

DixiesDad

Got two questions. At what age is it best to neuter?

At what age should you get rabies innoculation. This actually something I'm not thrilled about but it's required in this state.

Why not? Rabies is 100% fatal and a huge public health risk. A good time for rabies is about 5 months old, but I have heard of dogs being exposed and consequently euthanized when they were as young as 4 weeks old.

How old to neuter is a much more complex answer depending on you, your dogs, plans for your dog, etc.

Why not? Rabies is 100% fatal and a huge public health risk. A good time for rabies is about 5 months old, but I have heard of dogs being exposed and consequently euthanized when they were as young as 4 weeks old.

This article has a good discussion of problems with vaccinations. :rolleyes:

http://www.drpitcairn.com/talks/looking_at_vaccines.html

How old to neuter is a much more complex answer depending on you, your dogs, plans for your dog, etc.

Welcome to the Boards, kkeyes, but I have to say that's some bizarre reading matter!

The pros and cons of vaccination is a subject that's been discussed frequently on the Boards. There's a somewhat raucous discussion that nevertheless contains a lot of good information in the sticky thread Concerned about over-vaccination?? at the top of this forum.

If rabies was not a human health risk I would tell you that it's your dog, your choice. Rabies is still very much a problem in the US, so unless your dog is never going to leave the house you need to have it. My own dogs were chased in my backyard by a skunk that got over 6 ft privacy fence. That same skunk chased my neighbor's dog back into it's house. Animal control still hasn't caught it.

If you are concerned about vaccines at least talk to a vet about what your dog should get in your area. Vaccinate as little as possible and run titers. Research different brands and options for vaccines to find ones you are comfortable with.

Be forewarned, there are many people who have lost dogs to easily preventable diseases because they chose to not vaccinate. Just be sure that your choice isn't a knee jerk reaction. Know what you are getting into!

I intend to vacinate for rabies. Not only is it a public health risk but around here it necessary for the health of the dog. We have a lot of racoons, skunks and cyotes. Last month I had to destroy a skunk because it was out wandering in the middle of thge day and acting erractic. I even have my horses and mule vacinated for rabies. Because I may not like something does not mean I don't recognize the necessity. I'm just wanting to minimize any chance of bad effects as much as possible.

Another consideration: rabies vaccines keep your dog safe from PEOPLE. In my area, and many others, a dog bite from a dog not UTD on rabies means the dog in question gets euthanized. The only test for rabies is post-mortem.

If a dog who is UTD with rabies bites someone, they get a 10 day quarantine. Personally, I would take the quarantine.

I vaccinate minimally, but I always do rabies (we're on a 3 year vaccine). Support Dr. Jean Dodd's efforts to study the vaccine further to see if we can up the time between shots, and maybe someday we'll have a 5, 7, or even 9 year vaccine. But that hasn't happened yet.

As for spaying/neutering, I prefer to fix at no less than 6 months of age. I've seen too many problem with pediatric spay/neuters (spay incontinence, too-straight builds in front, joint problems from growth plates not fusing at the right time, etc). Personally, I'm going to try to wait until my pup is 10-11 months old to neuter. Hopefully I will make it that long without strangling myself. :rolleyes: