BC Boards

quick breeder question...

someone on another borad is looking for a BC, she wants sport or working lines(well, she SAYS working, but all the breeders she has posted so far are sport) anyway one of the breeders she has faverited is Blastoff, and that name rings alarm bells for me, I am postive there was some reason to avoid them besides the obvious, but for the life of me I cant remeber why, can anyone help me out here? lol

also if anyone can recoomnd some real working Breeders I can recomend to her..(she does NOT want a rescue, breeder only). I mean I know whats in my area, but I am in the wrong country lol. she is in the US, nt sure whereabouts though..

I think I know which person you are talking of, and their list of breeders now includes Lockeye and Red Dawn....not that I've scouted those breeders out yet, but I don't hear of many working breeders having "kennel names."

Many good breeders have kennel names, like Jack and Kathy Knox's Ettrick Kennels, Scott Glen's Alta Pete, David Henry's Fieldstone Border Collies, etc. But people tend to associate the name of the dog with the handler and drop the kennel name. If you look at the ABCA papers the name is on them. The alarm bells should go off when you see the number of pups, lack of working ability, market they are aiming at (pretty colors!), etc.

I got Joy from a pretty good breeder in Wisconsin, Jacksons Family Farm.

She's a working breeder, has awesome dogs, and I met the current stud dog Kobhayn when I was dropping Joy off for boarding, and he's amazing. She has very strong herding dogs, and they have nice personalities. One dog that I was almost going to get, Tetra, is a powerhouse....I'm glad I got Joy instead.

As for Blastoff...I don't think they're a very good breeder. I don't think they should be bringing the unvaccinated puppies to a dog training school, for one. Second, I think that she should be more focused on developing a puppies personality and such rather then focusing on training. BUT, that's just me.

Ah, OK. I've never looked at ABCA papers, so I have only heard dogs listed as coming from "so and so" not "such and such kennel."

At least one of those breeders has had 4 litters since september, though (I think it was Blastoff that I looked up).

Yes, alarm bells should go off with Blastoff.

I think I know which person you are talking of, and their list of breeders now includes Lockeye and Red Dawn....not that I've scouted those breeders out yet, but I don't hear of many working breeders having "kennel names."

Quinn is a Red Dawn dog. She is very much a sports/conformation breeder and there are lots of litters.

Looking at the kennel in question I would ponder thus...

IF (and I'm not!) I was going to buy from a sport line, would I not buy from dogs that *actually had* sport titles?

How does a kennel not breed for color yet have greater than 80% of their kennel's dogs being of recessives or minority colors

It's a rare true working breeder of quality that has time for more than a few litters a year at most.

Socialization, good husbandry, OFA, DNA, and CERF.....are not acceptable reasons for producing litters. They should be the icing, not the cake. The cake is *proven* working parents out of *proven* working lines.