BC Boards

Custom kennel banks for van

Hey,

As I look at getting a larger van, I'm also considering that it might save me money to just have custom kennels made to fit the current van. PetEdge is one site that has been suggested to me for kennel banks. Does anyone else know of places that can do this sort of work or that sell prefab kennel banks that can be configured for a van? Using the Vari-Kennels results in wasted space, so I'm trying to figure out a way to give the dogs maximum room and air circulation (but also enclosed enough to stay warm in winter when they have to overnight in the van at trials) while still fitting them all in my mid-size van. Unless it goes to thousands of dollars, it will be cheaper than buying a new van. Any and all ideas welcome.

J.

I've seen lots of custom set ups in aluminum, but they can be pretty expensive. Here's a place that does custom vans. They might have some ideas for you: http://www.sportsmobile.com/3_dogcarrier.html

The kennel banks I've seen in PetEdge are more for grooming shops. But, you might be able to make something work for a van.

Dana

Back when my husband and his cronies were exiting Vet School with nothing but thousands of dollars in student loans, a friend of his had a local cabinet maker make some lovely crates for his office out of stained oak and lined with melamine for easy cleaning. it was hundreds of dollars less than buying the stainless ones. Eventually, he took the doors off, put it in his waiting room, added lights and now it's a cool looking bookshelf. The curve of the van's sides would be a problem, but it seems like a cabinet maker could work it out. Maybe with some advice from an RV supply person.