BC Boards

My dog is growing whiskers... on his legs!

This will be the third winter I've had my dog, and I swear I've never seen these before. He's got nice feathering on the rear part of his legs, but this year, there seem to be whiskers growing out of the front of Buddy's thighs! They look like the fuzzy hair that grows out of old men's ears.

Has anyone else ever seen this? Is it just a peculiar pattern of his winter coat coming in? (I do think this is the first spot where he loses his coat, come spring.)

legwhiskers102807.jpg

Mary

In the biz I am in, I see it quite a bit. We groomers call it hormone fuzz. I am suspecting the dog is neutered? Some dogs get it if they have been shaved, and the hair grows bac in some places soft, and thin and fuzz like. Usaually it grows on the fronts of legs, around the back knees, and shoulders of dogs. You can get a hand stripping tool, and easily strip it off, but it will grow back. Darci

100_1229.jpg

100_1228.jpg

As you can see Gypsy has old man whiskers too she has only had them this year . They are weird looking arent they ?

I am so glad other dogs have them as I have never seen them on another dog .Sorry they look even worse because we have just been to the beach !

My dog's "whiskers" aren't the normal longer rear end "feathers" kind of thing... they're growing on the front side of his legs, where the hair is much shorter normally. They just sprouted! :rolleyes:

So... to the groomers among you, or the vet techs... what would cause this? 1Sheepdoggal said it's called "hormone fuzz," but why would it suddenly pop up on a neutered dog who is 4-ish years old?

Curiously, along with this change in hair growth, my dog is kind-of-suddenly happy to eat his supper quickly, will do tricks for kibble, and will approach strangers he thinks might have treats. Previously, he was a very picky eater, wouldn't bother with kibble, and was too skittish to approach strangers.

Could a shift in hormones be responsible for all this, or are the change in eating and the change in hair growth unrelated?

Thanks!

Mary

Might want to get his thyroid checked just to make sure thats ok (more due to the increased appetite).

My female BC never really developed these "fuzzies". Our aussie male who is 3 is getting them but I dispose of them as soon as I notice them (I hate the fuzzies). I either pull them out or use a stripping knife. They seem to pull out really easily compared to the normal fur.

Hey Mary, Sorry I havent gotten back till now. Husband brought home a lovely little bug, and has been passing it around and I happen to get in its path. Nyquil keeps me alive, but not awake much. The hormone fuzz, I havent seen in a dog that is intact, unless it has been shaved. If it hasnt been shaved, chances are it is an altered dog. A vet I worked for eons ago told me what it was called, and why it was, but an explanation is beyond my nyquil induced brain fart at the moment. I usually only see it in altered dogs, or dogs that have been shaved. If it concerns you, you can ask your vet, other wise, you can hand strip it out, or use thinning shears it only takes a second, but it will always grow back. Darci