BC Boards

Zoey keeps... (I know she isn't a BC, but we still need help!)

Zoey keeps barking at me when we're doing weaves. We are JUST now REALLY getting the weaves, and she keeps barking... Not just a "bark.................................bark.............................bark." but a "bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark" I don't mind, but she's also started that if I don't say "GO WEAVE!" fast enough, she will nip my knee (quite a bit of work for my 14 inch tall dog!)

When I say "Don't touch!" as shes jumping up to nip me, she usualy doesn't do it, but Im just wondering on the barking... Should I "shhuusssh!" her? or just let her bark? It isn't taking away from her weaving (very often) so is it okay to just let her bark?

THanks

I can't speak to the agility, but Daisy has a friend who is a mini-Aussie, and wow, does she ever go "bark bark bark bark bark bark bark!" She loves to run with Daisy. Daisy chases the frisbee, and Tia chases Daisy. For Tia, chasing after Daisy is so stimulating in a pleasurable/exciting way that her "bark bark bark bark bark bark" switch just gets turned on. Maybe Zoe is just really, really excited by getting through the weaves, and when they are more of a commonplace thing for her, her switch will not turn on!

Could you try putting something at the end of the weaves for Zoey to drive forward to, like a target plate for her to touch? I've found that with Abby, who is a major excitement barker in agility, if she has something to concentrate on driving towards she is much more quiet and focussed.

barking can mean alot of things, my aussie barks and use to bite me when I didnt get commands out quick enough for him, he did it out of frustration. I found that when I got commands out quicker there was a whole lot less barking.

For the nipping if you give the command and she nips you..play stops dead, thats it all done. Put her up get your other dog out play with them for about five minutes then get Zoey out again. Teeth should never touch flesh, I dont care how excited they are. You will have to do this on course too if your competing and dont mind blowing some entry fees, your other option is to stop trialing (if you currently are) until you get this under control. If a judge see's your dog make tooth to flesh contact they can whistle you off course and that means a big fat "E"

Also when you give the command dont make eye contact with her...look where you are headed, shorten your command to simply Weave. I only use the word "Go" if I want my dog to move ahead/away from me

Thanks! I'll be sure to do that! She hasn't nipped me in a while actualy, and Im really glad. She's still barking, and I do think it's because Im not fast enough, also, she barks at me when I go "aaahhha!" Almost like shes back talking.

We are working on the "Go weave!" right now beause I am teaching "go!" And drive. But I'll try to just say "weave".

Thanks again

For drive through the weaves take a favorite treat or toy and put it at the end of the weaves let Zoey see you do it and then ask her to weave to the treat. Place the treat as if there is an imaginary 13th pole you want her finish correctly and drive on. You'll have to be quick incase she pops and simply goes for the treat. Dont let her have it unless she does it right, this will encourage drive through the poles

If you're training in a secure location like a fenced backyard, then the moment she nips, in weave or not, walk away and ignore her. Don't say anything. Just walk away, and don't look at her, talk to her, go by her or anything, for a couple minutes. Keep doing this.

If you're in a training class, pull her out mid-weave if you have to, and put her in time out. I've been doing that when Joy bites, but it seems like you're getting Zoey under control.

The barking isn't really an issue, unless she's getting to the point where she's disruptive to other dogs, or can't hear your commands.

For Joy I use a make-shift muzzle made out of a neck tie. You can also do this with 2 feet of inch wide gauze. Fold the gauve in half, and put it under her muzzle. Wrap it loosely around the top, and back under. Fold it behind her ears and tie loosely. You want it loose enough so she can drink water and take treats, but not full bark or bite. When she starts to bark, tell her to hush and show her a treat. Wait a moment, then give her a treat.

With my lad who is learning the weaves, his treat goes into a clear plastic pot with a secure lid on. He can then get to his reward, but not get at it until I open the lid!!! Very useful for a fast dog!!

My Jack barks a lot if my body language isn't clear enough - telling me off - so I know if I'm getting it right by the silence lol.

Good luck.

Steph.

Thanks everyone! :rolleyes: We've been working on it, and Zoey hasn't nipped me since I posted last...

We don't train weaves in a fence, or at training, but here at home, in the drive way, about a mile away from the road (I've got one heck of a driveway)

So, thanks :D I'll try to take some pics and vids the next time we are out to the feild, and running a full course! :D