BC Boards

Exercising after blood donation.

kingsley's blood was a match for another dog and he donated 250ml of blood last night. Right after the donation, he got a shot for iron too.

the vet adviced against exercising too soon.

can i check how soon is too soon? he's already pawing me to go and play frisbee with him.

kingsley's blood was a match for another dog and he donated 250ml of blood last night. Right after the donation, he got a shot for iron too.

the vet adviced against exercising too soon.

can i check how soon is too soon? he's already pawing me to go and play frisbee with him.

What a kind dog Kingsley is!

The reason you want to reduce exercise after donation is due to reduced # red blood cells, hemoglobin, and therefore decreased oxygen carrying capacity. They can tire much easier, lifespan of existing blood cells may decrease with intense exercise, and in extreme cases may collapse. However, assuming your BC is about 40lb, they took a lot less than the 10% volume we typically take from donors so the side effects of the acute blood loss should not be as severe.

Regeneration of blood cells may come quickly from contraction of the spleen, but for a full regenerative response from the bone marrow it may take 2-3 days to be back at the level he was at before. Typically most dogs and cats tolerate low red blood cell counts down to 15-20% (normal being around 35-50%) if they are well hydrated and have normal blood volume. If you are really concerned about his red blood cell count, you can have the vet perform a physical exam and recheck a packed cell volume count and total solids (PCV/TS) to see if Kingsley is still anemic.

Good energy is a great sign! =)

Thank Kinsley for me. He's a really good dog for helping the other dog out.

I am curious. Does Kingsley have his blood type on file somewhere? Did a vet call you and ask for a donation because a dog needed blood, or do they have a dog blood drive? If it's none of my business that's fine. I have just never heard of a dog donating blood before. Also, do dogs have the same blood types as people, and do they have positives and negatives?

Way to go Kingsley. Not only are you beautiful, but you are generous as well.

Tammy

thanks all! given that kingsley owe his life to very kind people out there, that's the way i feel that he can contribute back.

As he is around 42lbs... 250ml is not alot from the articles that i read. but just to be on the safe side.. he's skipping his agility class tonight. Tmr, however, we'd be going swimming :rolleyes:

His blood is not on file at all even though he previously donated once. what happened to us was that we got an appeal from friends that a dog had very low blood count and needed a transfusion. No matches was found after a whole day of matching (we don't have a dog blood bank in singapore at all).

can read about it here

So what happens when a dog goes in for testing, they just take a small sample of blood and match it with the other dog's. If it is a match, then blood is either taken from the veins from the paws or from the jugular vein in the neck.

From an article

--------------------------------

Did you know that there are 15 types of blood types for dogs?

Dogs with type A negative blood make the best donors. A cross-match to test for a negative reaction is usually performed prior to a transfusion. Interestingly, up to 70 percent of greyhounds are A negative, compared with a much smaller percentage of the general dog population.Dogs have 6 major blood types and a universal donor is DEA 1.1, 1.2 and 7 - and DEA 4 + DEA 1.1 + 42% of population DEA 1.2 + 20% of population DEA 3 + 6% of population DEA 4 + 98% of population DEA 5 + 23 % of population DEA 7 + 45% of population.

Canine Donors should:

1. Be Healthy

2. Be Between 1 to 7 years of age

3. Weigh more than 50 pounds

4. Be neutered

5. Be easy to handle

6. Be current on vaccines

7. Be on monthly heartworm preventive

8. Be on monthly flea and tick preventive

9. Be a universal donor

10. Never have been bred

How is blood collected from a dog?

Donating blood takes only 15-25 minutes and may require sedation. Dogs donate either on their side or lying down. Blood is collected from the jugular vein, which is the large vein in the neck. It is recommended that dogs be fasted before giving blood.

How much blood can be taken from a dog?

Dogs generally donate 450 ml (~ 16 oz) of blood or 10% of their body weight. When whole blood is collected from donors it is frequently separated into two components. It is separated into packed Red Blood Cells (PRBCs) and plasma. PRBCs are used to treat anemic animals. Units can be stored for up to 21-45 days. The plasma is frozen immediately and this product is called fresh frozen plasma. It can be stored frozen for one year and is used to treat animals with clotting disorders.

A little more about blood types -

the DEA types also dictate the degree of alloantigen reactivity other dogs alloantibodies have to the blood (if mismatched). In general, DEA types 1.1 and 1.2 are the most reactive and result in acute hemolytic reactions, 1.3,5,7 are moderately less reactive. DEA 1.4 is the "universal" type. There is also a new blood type that was recently discovered in Dalmations - DAL.

However, dogs typically must DEVELOP these alloantibodies to different blood by way of transfusion (unlike cats who can inherit them). So typically we say "the first one is free" except for dalmations. Sensitization is required to have a reaction to donated blood.

The reason we use greyhounds is not only because of their blood type, but because they have a HIGH normal red blood cell concentration. Sometimes upwards of 75%, most more can be taken, and more frequently with low risk than other breeds.

When we match, we take blood from the donor and blood from the recipient. We spin the blood down to separate the red blood cells from the plasma. Then we put a drop of the donors blood with the recipients plasma, and some of the recipients blood with the donors plasma and see if they don't like each other (typically see them clumping together as a result of the antibodies attaching).

Go Kingsley!

At the hospital here where I work, the Eastern Veterinary Blood Bank visits about every 6-8 weeks. We have quite a few staff members and clients that are regular donors. They don't use sedation, all the dogs that donate must be happy and willling. My dog Speck donates every time. He loves it! It's very similar to human blood donors - it's pretty quick and painless and they give the dogs a ton of "cookies" when it's over :rolleyes:

The perks are good too. Speck gets a CBC, heartworm test and tick borne disease panel every time he donates. They always have freebies, bandanas etc for the dogs. And god forbid, he ever needed blood it would be free for him. At over $250/unit it's quite a nice perk.

Here's their website if anyone is interested. They travel to quite a few hospitals in Maryland and Virginia.

http://www.evbb.com/

Michelle