BC Boards

Plowing with Draft Horses

KrisK

This past weekend, my neighbour hosted his annual plowing get together. There were 11 different teams, mostly Percherons and Belgians but there was a Suffolk teamed with a Clydesdale ( that looked funny because of the size difference).

Anyway, my neighbour kindly allows me to handle the plow while he handles the horses. As with any new venture, the KEY is to relax...and we all know how easy it is to relax when you're trying something new! I managed to plow 4 furrows in a reasonable manner. At least they weren't wandering all over the fields! It seems that now that I have done 4 furrows, I'm no longer a beginner! LOL - I'm an apprentice :rolleyes:

There is a certain joy in actually 'feeling' the earth that way. One of the fellows there is a retired teacher. He uses his team exclusively for all his farm work, from plowing to logging. He has an extraordinary team of Belgians and a mannerism that is so genuine and gentle when speaking about why he loves this way of working. What a pleasure to hear him speak. If you ever have an opportunity to give this a try...I highly recommend it!

I sure hope I can retire sooner....rather than later. I'd love to have a team to just work with at my leisure.

Nice Kris, what a great way to spend some time.

I was out at the farm on Sunday morn and took a few minutes to brush down the old team of Belgians. Rex is 17 and Rosie is 20. They still work pulling a cutter sleigh. I swear Rosies withers are a foot over my head. Both of them are so calm and gentle and good.

There's nothing like the sound of the earth turning over a moldboard plow behind a team of horses... so peaceful! Next you'll have to try mowing with a team, the sound of the sickle as it moves back and forth, and the hay falling... and NO NOISY ENGINE!!

Ah, yes. One you're hooked on driving horses, you're doomed! I've driven both heavy & light teams. I loved working the Percherons- just a little bit more fire to them. I worked a Belgian team that was amazing! Old style, very stout horses- Darwin, aka Bubba, weighed in at nearly 2400 Lbs (honestly- he was put on a livestock scale). He's the biggest (not the tallest, big most massive) horse I've ever seen. Plowing with that team was like no other. Their shoulders just bulged into the draft.

My yearling Arabian is destined to be a light driving horse. My older mare can pull a tire, but she's too silly to actually drive.

I love driving!

This is my new little guy, Dmitre. He is a purebred Cheval Canadian, which is a light draft breed developed locally for logging. I was a standardbred groom all thru highschool. I am getting to old to be falling off young crazy horses so I plan to make a cart horse out of Dmitre. There are lots of quiet and scenic back roads here on the Island.

P1000063.jpg

One of my neighbours just bought himself a buckboard - They look like they are having the time of their lives driving it around here!

It's all part of the 5 year plan - getting sheep comes first, then the horses :rolleyes: YEP, I've been bitten by the draft horse bug :D