BC Boards

Am I being a terrible foster mother?

Ok, so I'm probably just feeling needlessly guilty. But do you guys think this is ok? Cooper was let out of his crate all morning while I got ready for work, then again all lunch. I came home again around 2:30 for good, and he's been out since then (about five hours), just playing his little maniac heart out, both with me and with Ling. My dogs were starting to get a little cranky with him, and I was getting tired of getting a toy shoved into the back of my legs whenever I walked anywhere in the house or in my lap when I sat down. So I put him in his crate with a big bone and a blanket over most of it so my dogs don't pester him about his bone. Everyone is pretty mellow now, but he is moaning and whining every five minutes or so.

Is this a good lesson for him to learn (quiet time, off switch, etc) or am I over-crating him? It's just been so long since I've had a dog this age that it doesn't feel intuitive right now!

Um, Clara?

You're doing AWESOME!

His time with you sounds like Disneyland For Dogs. He played for five hours. Sounds like he's tired and needs the rest but is fighting it like a child might. I bet he's sound asleep within 20 minutes, tops :rolleyes:

Guest WoobiesMom

That schedule sounds COMPLETELY APPROPRIATE! Especially if you gave him a nice chewy bone and some privacy. It's way better to pick up on those cranky signals before something breaks out and redirect everyone's attentions than to let it escalate. It's teaching him that the crate is the place to go for a time out and to relax uninterrupted with his bone. It creates a habit later in life that's priceless.

Good foster mom! :rolleyes:

I agree TOTALLY APPROPRIATE! You would do the same if he was a dog you just adopted. Why? Because you don't know if you can trust him. I've done the same thing with my fosters - crate or play. Which is what my dogs do anyway, their 'crate' is the fouton. If they aren't playing they are sleeping behind me on the fouton.

If you're a bad foster mom, I'm horrible. My fosters are either crated or actively engaged in something with me, so they can be crated for long time periods, especially during the week (I'm away from home 10 hours/day, fosters go with me to work, but are crated while there w/ a short break at lunchtime). Crate skills are very important for high energy dogs imo, not to mention that one has to be fair to one's own dogs before the foster.

The best thing you can do for any new dog coming into your home is quiet time. In fact, a behaviorist I work with routinely interacts minimally with his new dogs for a few days before asking anything of them to let their own anxiety level wane. So...quiet time in a crate is a good thing!

Maria