BC Boards

Introducing Whistles

r b m

I was wondering if some of you could shed some light on when you start a dog on whistles. I'd also like to know what technique or steps you use for the transition. Right now, I'm working on the stop and there, but I'm not confident enough in my ability for flanks yet. I know each dog is different, but I'm sure some of you see some sort of consistency.

Richard,

This short thread has good comments from Robin and Eileen on starting a dog on whistles. With one of my pups, we switched to whistles pretty quickly as she seems quite sensitive to my voice commands but doesn't react that way to the whistles. Anyway, the responses in that thread should get you started.

J.

• 3 weeks later...

Just read the short thread on whistles, but it didnt answer one question for me. How spot on do ya need to be in so far as timing when starting whistles? Whistle first, then give verbal command, I would think a dog could be out of the zone by the time both were done. Do you antisapate and whistle just before getting to the spot where you would give the verbal?