BC Boards

Training whistle commands

catfish

When should you begin teaching whistle commands on your dog? Does anyone have any

good ideas for a c/d on teaching them? Also, what is best way to approach teaching them

to your dog? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. (By the way my dog is

about 3 years old and I am still a novice handler)

Thanks to all the sheepdog L gang! :rolleyes:

Get Kent Kuykendall's whistle CD - it's simple and easy to follow, but still has plenty of detail. Forget about teaching the dog for awhile and get really proficient with the whistle commands yourself. Then when you're really good at clear whistles, just teach whistles the same way you did the voice commands. Get the action, then blow the whistle to pair the action with the sound. Drop your body language down as the dog acts like he understands the whistles.

I agree with Robin, especially about Kent's excellent whistle CD. Here's a link where you can buy it. When you're good enough with the whistles to start training them, I would give the whistle for what you are doing and then immediately follow with the verbal command. Most dogs will quickly begin to anticipate the verbal command when they hear the whistle, so that the two soon come to mean the same thing in their mind, and then you can phase out the verbal along with the body language until they are solid on the whistle.

I agree with Robin, especially about Kent's excellent whistle CD. Here's a link where you can buy it. When you're good enough with the whistles to start training them, I would give the whistle for what you are doing and then immediately follow with the verbal command. Most dogs will quickly begin to anticipate the verbal command when they hear the whistle, so that the two soon come to mean the same thing in their mind, and then you can phase out the verbal along with the body language until they are solid on the whistle.

Thank you for your help with both the cd and whistle command help.

I hope my husband and kids don't get tired of me whistling as we go down the road.