BC Boards

O/T - Gift Shopping

My 5 a.m. dog-walking friends and I bought what would make a nice doggie gift: the PupLight.

http://www.puplight.com/site/592684/page/235286

I've had mine a few weeks, and people stop me to say, "Wow, I could see you half a mile down the road." They also help you find the poop, and let you see what your dog is sniffing, eating, etc.. I know LL Bean also had a similar light for people - hikers, night walkers, etc.. I think it went on a headband. They really are bright!

Mary

Lily wears a light, too. She is mostly black, less than a foot tall, and I'm always afraid she will get lost at night. The yard is fenced but it's a big yard....

Cafe Press is pretty amazing, you could try putting in your own photos and having tee shirts made. Wear your own dog!

I know LL Bean also had a similar light for people - hikers, night walkers, etc.. I think it went on a headband.

As best I can tell from the pictures on the puplight site, it is EXACTLY the same as the headband light I have.

I think this would be far less useful than a glowing collar or harness. Dogs seem to see much better in the dark than humans do. I've sometimes hiked a last mile or two back to the car when all I could see was a white tail-tip waving in front of me. Though I do carry the light, I seldom use it. I'd rather keep my night vision, and Niki's.

Arn't they the same items that are on Cafepress? They looked the same to me. But still great pictures. I'd spend every bit of my money on sites like that if I could :rolleyes:

Dogs seem to see much better in the dark than humans do.

Yeah - I don't think Buddy particularly cares for the light. But it definitely helps cars see him (and therefore me), and helps me find him on our a.m. walks. I was buying those little flashers for his collar last year, but they were cheaply made and designed to last only a couple weeks, it seemed - plus the batteries weren't in the local stores. I bought that Puplight hoping that a single expenditure will get me through the entire winter. We'll see! :rolleyes:

MB

...plus the batteries weren't in the local stores.

I agree about that - if it doesn't use standard batteries, I won't buy it. And rechargables, too - though I do keep some of the other sort just in case.

So far we've managed to find trails to hike, so no car problems. (I live on the east side of the Sierras, so in summer we go uphill where it's cooler.) But now that the days are getting shorter, I'll need to get something. Maybe when she gets her skijoring harness...

Maybe when she gets her skijoring harness...

Oooh... I just looked up skijoring. It looks like so much fun!

Of course, I suppose there's a limit to how much... er... weight... a poor 43-lb dog can reasonably be expected to help slide along a slope. :rolleyes:

Last time I went XC skiing, after a 24-inch blizzard, I fell down in the middle of the woods. My behind went down in the snow, 24 inches down, while my skiis stayed up on the surface. If someone had been there with a video camera showing me trying to haul my butt up from that angle... well, I could have won $10,000 on Funniest Videos.

Mary

Well, I'm not actually planning on having her do that much pulling - but don't tell her that :-) It's my revenge plan: all summer she's been pulling me up mountains, and making me hike a lot faster than I really wanted to - even run sometimes, and with fewer breaks to do anything except dig or chase squirrels. But as soon as we get some good snow cover, the worm will turn!