BC Boards

confused dog?

post-7958-1191345045_thumb.jpgI've tried searching aggresive behavior to no avail. Just thought I'd put that out there. My 15mon. old BC/Aussie Shepard mix has a nasty habit of nipping/biting us. She will come up and nuzzle for a scratch, but whenever you go to scratch her, anywhere, she'll switch modes and bite. She has been neutered and is current on all her shots. She has been to training at Petsmart. We had to pull her out as she would attack the other dogs and bite us when we would try to calm her. I know most folks don't like to give advice of this sort online. She will bite whether or not you look at her while petting. She gets to run in 16 acres of pasture. She plays frisbee, quite well, she outruns me on the four wheeler. She is such a sweet heart, you just can't pet her, even when she acts like she wants one. Another thing. She attacks my four wheeler when I start it, the barn door when I open or close it. She does live with a Pommeranian, he won't even go near her. We got her at 10 weeks old and this behavior has gotten worse. She knows her name, sits, lays, knows to get either the ball or frisbee when you tell her. I am looking into a behaviorist, but is that going to help? By the way, the biting even occurs when the other dog is not even around. Any ideas?

An evaluation by a certified behaviorist sounds like a good idea. Beware of trainers that call themselves behaviorists. It sounds like she has alot of freedom and needs more structure until she earns her privileges. You may want to start with the protocol for deference (link at the upper right of page). There is alot of good info here:

http://www.k9aggression.com/Help/resources.html#professional

I think a behaviorist is definitely the way to go.

I would take time to choose a behaviorist carefully, though. I would avoid any that employ the use of adversives to treat behavior issues. I would talk with a behaviorist at length about his or her methods before even letthing him or her come into contact with my dog. If I heard terms like "shock collar", "corrections", "dominance", or "alpha", I would keep looking.

If my dog was as you describe yours, I would seek to find someone who would try to identify and treat the underlying cause of this problem, rather than try to intimidate the dog into submission. There could be a physical or mental issue that would be treated appropriately with medication, but would not be fixed through current popular behavior-control methods.

We have a BC training facility in my area. I have called them for a meeting. They do one on one training. A little more expensive, but hey shes worth it. As for medication, my brother has a full blooded BC that has hip displatia. He also can be mean. They give him doggie Prozac. My concern is that he, my brothers dog, seems, well high. He lets you pet him with no problems when hes on his Prozac. Is this really necessary though? Like I say. My dog, Sammy, almost seems like she gets confused. Shes great at playing and does her comands well. She comes when called. We just don't understand the biting, especially when shes asked to be pet. I know the "me alpha, her subordinate" thing. She does treat me with more "respect" than my wife and daughter. Yet even when I ask her if she wants to be pet she will bite. Now, something I forgot. She will let you pet her when you come home and invite her to jump up for a kiss, or we are "dancing" with her. Its only in a calm moment that the agression occurs.

Do you automatically reach to pat her hind end when she asks for a pet? I am just wondering if she is maybe in pain and unwilling to be touched in a sore spot. My kaos would run until her pads were bloody and never volunteer to stop, yet had the worst hip dysplasia that caused her to appear aggressive towards our other dog... we found out , finally, that she was simply in pain, I would probably see the vet and make sure there isn't an injury to her bosy that you may not be aware of, ie:spine, legs, neck etc.....

Sara

My brothers dog has the hip displasia. My dog Sammy doesn't. We had her examined recently. We only pet her on the jowls or around her ears. She will roll over like she wants a belly scratch, but, we learned that she is being submissive and will bite. So we ignore her request.

It sounds like this is manipulative behavior, just from your description. She's very much in control of the situation and is constantly reminding you to keep your place. That's a dog that is both bossy and insecure. These types of dogs usually need a great deal of structure and a predictable routine, and clear communication of the boundaries (sorry, learning NO is definitely in order here).

You do need some in person expert help to work you through this. I've worked with several BC/Aussie mixes and they can be snappish and reactive. Many times it's not even what most people would call meanness, just something that clicks in their heads in certain situations.

One thing you might explore is redirecting her behavior. Someone just advertised a herding clinic with Jack Knox in Butler, MO. That could be a fun way to find out what makes your dog tick and see a more constructive side of her.

In addition to a behaviorist and the other suggestions here, you might want to check out Patricia McConnell's "For the Love of a Dog". There are two wonderful sections in there where she discusses fear and aggression in dogs on a physiological level.

Guest WoobiesMom

You've gotten excellent advice here. I would talk to your vet who would probably know of behaviorists in your area. In the meantime, it does sound as though she doesn't respect you and the behavior may be ingrained since she's been doing it for a while. You might read up and try NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) as a way of non-aggressively restoring your place as leader. Someone else here once mentioned a trick with a treat where you hold it in your fist and let the dog realize that it's in there. They will work and mess around (she'll probably even try biting) to get at the treat, just ignore her while holding it in your fist. When she sits quietly and looks at it, pop your hand open and let her have the treat. It kind of teaches them that the right behavior is rewarded without having to have a power struggle over negative behavior. That might be a good place to start while waiting to get an appt. with a behaviorist. Often, if you meet aggression with aggression, it causes things to escalate.

Woobie is still rambunctious at times and does some nipping, biting, etc. I've found that either leaving the area and leaving him alone the minute his teeth touch me inappropriately or occupying his mind before he gets crazy works to diffuse alot of situations before they get bad and end up with us fighting each other to get our way.

Good luck!

You folks have been really helpful. I really appreciate all the input. I do not believe in corporal punisnment for animals. They are defenseless against us. Well, maybe a lion or bear.:] Now, something strange? Are BCs full of gas? She will finish eating or drinking and belch everytime. And when she jumps on the trampoline she passes gas. I know its strange, she does like to slightly bounce on the trampoline. Oh well. She has got tons of personality! Right now shes eating a fly. :rolleyes:

Border Collies aren't any gassier than other normal dogs, lol. Her food might not agree with her. Usually gas means there's a little too much grains or fiber for her to handle. Ben used to belch loudly after every meal - that's just the way he ate. I started mixing his food with some homeade stew, wet food in other words, and that pretty much stopped it.

I agree with starting with NILIF. I was in a hurry yesterday or I would have mentioned it as part of putting a routine and structure in her life.

Probably you'll have to get fairly tough with her over the biting of motorized tools and so forth. That can become an obsession very quickly and one that will threaten her life. You'll probably have to go so far as to teach that the ground around such objects is "dangerous" and you own it.

I just wanted to mention that vets are not necessarily plugged in to *qualified* behaviorists. If you go that route, be sure you find a certified applied, or veterinary behaviorist. I felt it necessary to emphasize this because a vet I called (not my regular vet, but one my vet's office referred me to ) in turn, referred me to a person who called himself a "behaviorist", and who was not only unqualified, but set my fear aggressive dog back quite a bit, and made him far more reactive. (I've heard that another vet in the same office now steers people clear of this "behaviorist")

Anyone can call themselves a behaviorist, whether they've worked with dogs one hour or 10 years. It has become a popular bandwagon to jump and is primarily a marketing tool for some trainers who claim to specialize in treating dogs (or people with dogs) having behavioral issues. Don't be fooled! To be certified requires one to demonstrate proficiency in both course work and practical applications and to meet or exceed specific standards of treatment in behavior modification. (There is a link to a directory on the page I referenced earlier) Also, and this was very important in the case of my dog, a veterinary behaviorist can prescribe psychotropic meds if deemed appropriate to the circumstances.

Good luck!