BC Boards

is this really bad?

Laurae

So I drive a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck with a crew cab, which means kind of a half back seat. Craig rides in a varikennel crate in the bed (it's got a cap, btw). Sophie and Taz ride in the cab with me, usually seat belted in. The problem is that Taz always twists up in his seatbelt. The alternatives are to keep using the hated seat belt or get a crate for him. I could put another crate in the bed, but I can't fit two crates back there side-by-side due to the wheel wells, so one crate would have to be sideways behind the other one. This is really not optimal, as it would require me climbing into the bed every time I wanted to put a dog in the behind crate. So after much hemming and hawing about the situation, I decided to get the biggest crate that would fit in the backseat of the cab. It's a 30-inch long crate, which is a bit short and not really high enough for him (but the same size as the crate he hangs out in voluntarily any time he wants some down time, every day). He seems to be fine in it. I was wondering what board members' views on the slightly-snug-crate-in-the-cab setup might be...too tight or okay...?

ETA: It looks like he's really tiny and the crate is huge in this photo, but it's not so roomy when he's not curled up like that...

IMG_0088.jpg

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I have no issues with transporting dogs in crates that are a size too small as long as they won't be in that same crate for the entire weekend at, say, an agility trial. Generally my dogs just curl up and sleep while riding anyway. I am sure a size-too-small crate would be more roomy than my backseat with 7-8 dogs, anyway. :rolleyes:

I agree with everyone else. My dogs rarely stretch out when riding in crates, so a slightly smaller crate wouldn't be an issue. If I am on a really long trip, the dogs get frequent potty and stretching breaks, and if I feel the crate is a bit small once I get to my destination then that particular dog would be moved to a larger crate (if available) or tied out. I especially agree with Sally that a smaller crate may be safer in an accident.

J.

The crate is 30" long x 19" wide x 21" height. The width is my main limiter, as you can probably see in that pic--there's just not that much room back there. Unfortunately, 42 inches is way too long--ideally, we would have something like 33" x 19" x 25" but I just haven't seen anything like that anywhere. Thanks to everyone who responded--it makes me feel a bit better. Taz rode in it this morning for the first time, and it went okay. When he's lying down it's fine, but he is used to sitting up sometimes, too, which was a little pathetic, as he was all hunched over whenever he tried to sit. Oh well, I guess he'll get used to having to lie down...and I know it is much safer, so I think we'll keep the crate.

How tall and how wide is the crate? I've been looking around at crates too. JJ is 22" tall so he needs one 30" tall but to fit 2 side by side they can only be 21-22" wide. I found one but it's 42" long. Would that work for you?

Get a dog box made for a small truck. I've got a two hole, diamond plate, made to fit in a little Ranger pickup and will also fit in a Chevy Blazer. Although heavier than a couple crates I much prefer the sturdiness of the box- it's warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer, in fact on those days in the low-mid eighties the dogs didn't get warm enough to pant with the box in the back of the truck out in the sun. Warmer than that and I make room to put the truck in the workshop.

Mine I think is 21" high and I can't recall the length/width (but will measure if you're interested. I remember the height because I measured it to make a kennel box the same height!) but I can fit two dogs in each hole fairly comfortably. The box was made for hounds which are often much larger than the average border collie so there's plenty of room to stretch out. If you're curious about the height thing (boxes are almost always shorter than crates) it's because you don't want a dog to be able to stand up and arch their back- so they can't take a dump in the box! Although if a dog is crate or house trained they're unlikely to want to do this even on a long trip.

You can even get boxes with storage compartments on top or a drawer on the bottom to keep dog related items organized. There's a lot of companies that sell them, and there's a lot of variety in them. It's generally pretty easy to find them used on hunting sites. http://www.coondawgs.com/forum/ is a good spot to look, there's a bunch of other dog hunting sites with classifieds also. Look for coon dogs or gun dogs.

I've thought about dog boxes, mostly because I think they are the gold standard for safe traveling with dogs. But I have a canopy on the bed of my truck, so assuming a dog box would sit flush against the back of the cab (so I could use the rest of the space in the bed), I'd still have to climb in the bed in order to take the dogs in and out. I'm trying to avoid that because I think it would about kill my knees over time. I'm not willing to take off the canopy, as I keep a lot of things in my truck bed and I just much prefer a canopy on my truck. Thanks for the thought, though.

I've thought about dog boxes, mostly because I think they are the gold standard for safe traveling with dogs. But I have a canopy on the bed of my truck, so assuming a dog box would sit flush against the back of the cab (so I could use the rest of the space in the bed), I'd still have to climb in the bed in order to take the dogs in and out. I'm trying to avoid that because I think it would about kill my knees over time. I'm not willing to take off the canopy, as I keep a lot of things in my truck bed and I just much prefer a canopy on my truck. Thanks for the thought, though.

Your truck is about the size of an S10 or Ranger, isn't it? I keep mine against the back of the cab because I haul feed in the back where I can get to it easy. I don't have to get in the bed to open the latches on the doors, I can reach them by leaning forward a bit, or reaching over the closed tailgate and opening the doors, then dropping the tailgate.

I've thought about dog boxes, mostly because I think they are the gold standard for safe traveling with dogs. But I have a canopy on the bed of my truck, so assuming a dog box would sit flush against the back of the cab (so I could use the rest of the space in the bed), I'd still have to climb in the bed in order to take the dogs in and out. I'm trying to avoid that because I think it would about kill my knees over time.

This is what the shepherd's crook was invented for.

Grasping the crook in the reversed position (hook at the far end) the hooked end can be used to lift the latch on the dog box, and the hook around the bar of the door to open it.

Tell dog "kennel", at which he/she leaps on the tailgate and dashes into the dog box.

Push hooked end against door to close and push down on latch to lock.

Repeat for other side/other dog.

May need a longer than average crook for long bed pickups.

Pearse

DH used to have a Ranger (RIP little blue truck) - it had a truck box next to the cab, no topper. He could fit two of the hard plastic "Medium" sized crates right in front of it, which worked any time he was taking my 25 lb doggies. He says he also was able (if he remembers correctly) to fit one Medium, and one Intermediate back there, side by side (what actually wound up being BETWEEN the wheel wells, IIRC. He tied them down with some sort of manstrap thingie.

Yeah, i could get one large and one intermediate crate there at the end by the tailgate, but it had to be a certain type (maybe the regular varikennel vs the deluxe?) in order for the smaller one to fit under the lip of the larger one. Two intermediates wouldn't fit side by side because the lip/edges met.

My Ranger is nearly RIP, am waiting for the transmission to fall out and looking for a replacement truck/suv/van/something for it.

Yeah, I can't just lean in because I have a cap over the bed of my truck. A canopy--you know, a topper.

I don't mean lean over the side of the bed, I mean lean in from the back. If I put the tailgate down before opening the doors on my box I have to lean :rolleyes:

Sorry, no can do. I took my setup in the Ranger down recently so can't take a picture. The dogs ride in my rolling kennel exclusively now - E350 van with 7 crates inside. :rolleyes: If i need to carry someone in the Ranger i just toss one crate in.

Around here we call 'em camper shells, btw. :D I think canopy is a more northern term - someone i know in canada calls them that too.

Canopy, camper shell, cap, topper, heavy bed-roof that obliterates any hope of actual rear vision...

Though I live in Rocky Mountain nirvana now, I did grow up in the northeast--New Yawk to be exact, and lived in New England for a few years after college...

I'm now wondering if I should downgrade my large crate for Craig to a smaller intermediate size. He does sleep in it at trials, but I would definitely be able to fit two intermediates back there a bit easier...

My Ranger is nearly RIP, am waiting for the transmission to fall out and looking for a replacement truck/suv/van/something for it.

*nods* Chuck's tranny finally ate the dust... a couple months after we gave it to his father. I felt pretty bad. :D

Laura - I'd post a pic but unfortunately it's in the RIP status. I wound up giving DH the Chevy Trailblazer (which coincidently can haul 1 large, two intermediates, one medium, and one small crate for the Small Dog with the seats down) and getting myself an old minivan. I've got about 5 crates stacked in there right now, could get one more (again, small crate for the Small Dog) without breaking a sweat. I may be a mini-van totin' mama, but I don't have to haul crates in and out of the house anymore. :rolleyes:

I'm now wondering if I should downgrade my large crate for Craig to a smaller intermediate size. He does sleep in it at trials, but I would definitely be able to fit two intermediates back there a bit easier...

I don't know how big he is, but even my biggest galoof would be fine in an intermediate, ifns his legs weren't two miles long. :rolleyes:

He's not huge. Yer basic average-sized border collie, which is to say about 40ish pounds, normally proportioned. Of course, this means I'd have to buy yet another crate...bringing the total I have to seven, for three dogs, one of which would rather gouge her remaining good eye out than have to spend any time crated...

I drive a Chevy Colorado 4x4 extended cab. When Annie and I go anywhere in the truck, we don't have to worry about a crate, because she drives. (She's not only smarter than me, she's also a better driver...) Just kidding; Actually, Annie rides on one of the jump seats in the rear with a seatbelt, and does not seem to have a problem with that.

I don't know the layout of a Tacoma. But the Colorado has notches on the inside of the bed that will accommodate a 2x4, allowing a temporary platform to be installed across the bed above the wheel wells. Does the Tacoma have this feature? If not, you may be able to build (for minimal cost) a frame and platform that would create a flat surface just above the height of the wheel wells.

On climbing into the bed of a truck - I had a stall mat in the back of my old Silverado (how I miss that truck!) so it was both safe for the dogs to jump without skidding, and also relatively comfy to kneel in there.

I was also going to mention the crook trick. Not so good for doing crate latches but I used mine for hooking things out (bowls, shopping bags, water jugs, etc).

I call 'em toppers and caps. Sometime soon I'll be trading in the Queen Mary for a Real Truck and I'll be deciding on whether to have flip up windows or sliding windows again. If you have flippy windows you can completely open the back to let air in on hot days (insulated fiberglass top), and you can also reach in right up to the back of teh cab. But with slidey windows you can open them on the road. I actually used to prop my flippy windows open on hot days on the road, too, but I don't think that was very good for them. :rolleyes:

Funny. We also have a dead truck. Our Toy Truck, the S10, blew out something in the engine. We believe it may rise again, but it will almost certainly take a new engine AND possibly a clutch, too. Even though I really hated the thing, I think it might be a good idea to put the money into it, since it's almost paid for. I loved how I could put three or four dogs in the back, plus luggage and dog supplies for a weekend, plus ride two people and two kids in the jumpseats, and still get around 25 MPG.